Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - St Croix SCII vs??
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Slot Fish

I have used a St.Croix eyecon, premier, avid, old model legend, and legend elite, Fenwick aetos, elite tech as well as a hmx or hmg cant remember for sure, okuma deadeye, and cabelas walleye prodigy and Im sure a few others I'm not thinking of. The legend elite is hands down no questions asked a far superior rod to any other I've used but comes with a hefty price tag. I have not used GLoomis so couldn't compare that. I like to tell people I can feel a walleye fart on this rod. Low end st.croix rods(eyecon, premier, etc.) on the other hand are garbage rods in my opinion. If you live near a cabelas, or other store with a large supply of rods it really pays off to go look at the rods in person. I bought my low end st.croixs before I really knew what to look for in a rod and just figured it's a st.croix It's gotta be good right? What I do now when looking for sensitivity in a rod is lightly swipe the rod tip across some carpet, no I've never been yelled at for doing this. Try it out and you'll notice the cabelas prodigy($100) and many other rods are more sensitive than low end st.croix. It's a $100 rod that I would compare to most $150-200 rods. If you know how to use the search feature on this website you can find almost endless information on fishing rods, and you will quickly realize that there are a lot of different opinions out there and I'm sure some will be very different than mine. Rods I would suggest $100 and under Cabelas walleye prodigy, okuma deadeye, Fenwick hmx, hmg, and eagle, over $100 and under $150 I would personally call the rip off price range, $150 -$200 Fenwick elite tech and aetos, St.Croix Avid, $200+ any of the St. Croix Legend models. Of course I hope we're talking about a jigging, riggin or live bait rod and I hope we're not talking about a crankbait rod because in that case I use a $40 ugly stick.