Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - OnBoard Charging extension
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 01:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH Kucinski View Post
I am putting a charger in my boat for the first time, I have a house battery in the bow and a cranking battery in the back. Both are wired together so when my motors are running both are charging. The issue I have is that the two batteries are approx. 20' apart and I cannot centrally locate the charger. So do I extend the lead with 12 AWG wire to reach 20' or do I just hook the charger up to one battery and it will charge both? Not sure what to do with this set up?
Technically yes it will charge both, you have them hooked together so it's really just one big 12v cell anyway. But , I'm with Bobby on this one, get a 30 amp, dual bank charger, extend one set of leads and charge each one independently. That way each battery is getting 15 amps and charging alot quicker than letting one bank charge both.

Also do you have a switch to isolate each battery? I ask this because if one battery starts to have problems, say a shorted cell, if they are connected it will affect the other battery. I'd have them on a switch, connect them while outboard is running to charge them both then isolate them when the big motor goes off.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon

Last edited by Ltrain; 11-19-2019 at 01:35 AM.