Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rod order promises - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Wallhanger

You can get rods built from the ground up including blank but it will be made of bamboo. Probably be a fly rod too and kind of pricey because they take months to make. Still, a custom bamboo jigging rod might be kind of neat if it wasn’t $2000. You would really be fishing like an old timer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkerslayer View Post
They buy the rod blank
The rod blanks (other than bamboo) are made by other companies and the "builder" just does the finishing? That doesnt seem like much of a custom rod to me. But hey, what do I know, I buy off the rack, lol.

2015 Alumacraft T-195
Yamaha 200
Ulterra w/Ilink 112
Helix 10SI w/GPS

2019 Lowe 1852 Aura
Old 04-20-2019, 09:41 PM
Wallhanger

You can sand and taper solid carbon and fiberglass rods, and graphite if you have the proper tools and start with the right blanks.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
The rod blanks (other than bamboo) are made by other companies and the "builder" just does the finishing? That doesnt seem like much of a custom rod to me. But hey, what do I know, I buy off the rack, lol.
Custom usually means choice of guides. reel seat, eye wraps, basically everything that's put on the rod and how it looks/located. imho

While years back I made probably a couple dozen, the cost nowadays and the availability of manufactured rods that fit what I need, have kept me from making or buying custom rods.

Not to mention the cost.

Might also depend on what your using the rod for and how much sensitivity you need.
Not much needed casting for muskies, trolling, bobber fishing, crankbaits, etc I'd think.

Al
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
Given your perception of "custom" not many things would be considered custom. For example, some one building a custom street rod or custom motorcycle, certainly didn't make steel tubing used in building the frame, therefore (under your definition) the project would not truly be "custom".