Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
It happened to me, transom rot! - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Replace it with composite and don't worry again. It's surprising how many of these fairly new boats have rot issues. I've replaced 2 transoms in 1980s alumacraft 16' tillers along with the floor in mine. It was really easy, especially if the old one can be salvaged for a template. When we replaced my dad's we cut 3 sheets of plywood, one of them is stored in the garage in case it rots out again for a template.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Minnow

I would fix it. Even if getting a different boat in a couple years the increased value will be worth it.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Me, I would fix it myself. But I am Irish and cheap. I put my pants on the same way the guy who would fix it does. So if he can do it, so can I.
My god are you my brother from another mother? I'm not irish "just cheap". I am the same way thinking if Joe Blow can do it, so can I. To the OP, I replaced the transom in my boat about 4 years ago. It will now outlast me. To those that think that because their boat never sits out, or is only used occasionally, how can my transom be rotten? It only has to get wet once, or twice. Did you wash your boat? Did you fish in the rain? Did you pull it down the road in a rain storm? These transom are NOT sealed. If it got wet, it will NOT dry out. Wood sandwiched between 2 pieces of metal will never dry. A wet, rotting transom will swell between the inner and outer skins. When you look at an older aluminum boat transom, pay attention to whether the bolts appear to be overtightened. They aren't. The aluminum is bulging around them because the wood in the transom is full over water. Anyway I would fix it myself. If you don't feel you have the necessary skills, your options are to pay to have it done, sell it to someone and disclose the issue, or sc..w some unsuspecting sole. Please don't do the latter...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4flatfish View Post
My god are you my brother from another mother? I'm not irish "just cheap". I am the same way thinking if Joe Blow can do it, so can I. To the OP, I replaced the transom in my boat about 4 years ago. It will now outlast me. To those that think that because their boat never sits out, or is only used occasionally, how can my transom be rotten? It only has to get wet once, or twice. Did you wash your boat? Did you fish in the rain? Did you pull it down the road in a rain storm? These transom are NOT sealed. If it got wet, it will NOT dry out. Wood sandwiched between 2 pieces of metal will never dry. A wet, rotting transom will swell between the inner and outer skins. When you look at an older aluminum boat transom, pay attention to whether the bolts appear to be overtightened. They aren't. The aluminum is bulging around them because the wood in the transom is full over water. Anyway I would fix it myself. If you don't feel you have the necessary skills, your options are to pay to have it done, sell it to someone and disclose the issue, or sc..w some unsuspecting sole. Please don't do the latter...
Why do you think Lund has so many problems with transoms ?

My '85 Grumman transom was as solid as a rock when I traded it in (30 years old) and so was the floor. It was garaged in the winter months and when not on the water but I never covered it from the rain when it was fishing and it saw a LOT of water on the Great Lakes. One of my fishing partners still has his '84 Grumman and never had a problem with the transom and his boat has never been garaged.......just a cheap tarp covers it in his driveway.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-28-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Why do you think Lund has so many problems with transoms ?

My '85 Grumman transom was as solid as a rock when I traded it in (30 years old) and so was the floor. It was garaged in the winter months and when not on the water but I never covered it from the rain when it was fishing and it saw a LOT of water on the Great Lakes. One of my fishing partners still has his '84 Grumman and never had a problem with the transom and his boat has never been garaged.......just a cheap tarp covers it in his driveway.
I haven't seen any transom issue reports for 1984 - 1985 Lunds either.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Minnow

Default Lund Transom Rot

I have a 1999 Lund Pro V (tiller) and recently found transom rot. I am pretty handy when it comes to fixing things, car work, etc. Is it difficult to change the rotted plywood in the transom to the new composite material Lund now uses? How expensive is the material? Any suggestions/help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I called Lund and checked to see if they would help with costs and they said yes we acknowledge we have a issue but we are not doing a recall and my warranty was for only 10 years on the transom. Now if its my deck they cover that for a lifetime as long as I am the original owner (which I am). Very frustrating....
Old 07-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I haven't seen any transom issue reports for 1984 - 1985 Lunds either.
However, unlike LUND boats there are NO reports of any transom rot on any Grumman boats no matter what year they were built.......
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
However, unlike LUND boats there are NO reports of any transom rot on any Grumman boats no matter what year they were built.......

Good to know. I'll run right out and buy one as soon as I sell my Lund.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Took me a few seconds to see that wasnít true. How many more Lundís than Grummanís are out there?
Old 07-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Took me a few seconds to see that wasnít true. How many more Lundís than Grummanís are out there?
I'm 61 and I've never even seen a Grumman.