Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transom Saver - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Wallhanger

So no rhyme or reason.

I use an M-Y wedge, but my neighbour just bought a used Tyee GL that came with a transom saver.

Was wondering if he really needed it.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 AM
Wallhanger

Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreej View Post
Lund says you dont need a transom saver. They've said it for years. What you should use is a wedge type product to keep the weight off of the trim mechanism of the motor.
EXACTLY CORRECT! You don't need to "save the transom" while trailering. You put more stress on the transom when running around the lake with a full load in the boat vs when you are hauling it down the road.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Stress while running on the lake is a different type of stress than when bouncing down the road with the 10,000 potholes these days. Suspending 100+lb in the air and letting it bounce up/down is a lot of force on the mount and what is holding the mount (transom). In the water, you are under propulsion so there is a forwards force being applied with A LOT of torque. Its a totally different type of stress than the sharp force of the motor bouncing in the air on the transom.

Lund does not own any transom saver companies, they have no stake in any company and would prefer you wreck your transom after a few years so you can pay their dealers to replace it or buy a new boat. Transom is not in the hull warranty.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Kevin23 you beat me to it but that is correct, the multiple jarring bounces puts alot of different stress than moving down the lake. Also having used a My-wedge for awhile I am swirching back to traditional transom saver. I have a jackplate and while the wedge takes stress off the hydraulic trim ,the motor still can bounce, I would rather the trailer take the brunt of that
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Slot Fish

I have a glass boat was told not to use it because it transfers the shock from the road/trailer to boat. I used on on by tin boat all the time. I am not sure I like the lock on the motor seems all that weight is on the transom so I decided to use one.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I have a glass boat was told not to use it because it transfers the shock from the road/trailer to boat. I used on on by tin boat all the time. I am not sure I like the lock on the motor seems all that weight is on the transom so I decided to use one.
Springs between the axles and the trailer absorb road shock. Once the boat is secured to the trailer, there is no movement between the trailer and the boat. A transom saver helps protect the transom from the stress of a raised lower unit going over very rough road surfaces by providing additional support to either the boat or the trailer. Whether one is necessary or not is an educated decision by the boat owner. Having seen one mishap caused by an unsecured lower unit, I vote for some sort of transom support.I fail to see how a properly attached transom saver can cause damage, but I can only speak for my own boat.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Wallhanger

Better not be any force applied from the trailer to the boat! If so, you need some tie down straps!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Keeper

I’m struggling with this very decision on a new 2020 Triton 216FH with a (very heavy) 300HP Verado. I was also told that transom savers are unnecessary and can do more damage than good by transferring the road shocks from the trailer to the engine. I will say this argument does seem to make some sense, these trailers do not have very good suspensions.

Makes me nervous though...interested in other thoughts.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
Iím struggling with this very decision on a new 2020 Triton 216FH with a (very heavy) 300HP Verado. I was also told that transom savers are unnecessary and can do more damage than good by transferring the road shocks from the trailer to the engine. I will say this argument does seem to make some sense, these trailers do not have very good suspensions.

Makes me nervous though...interested in other thoughts.
If a bar type saver causes more damage, that can only occur if the boat and trailer are not set up correctly, in which case, you will likely experience more damage than the transom. As a trailer bounces and vibrates traveling down the road, the boat and trailer (above the springs) must move as one. If not, you have serious problems! If the trailer and boat move as one a bar saver CANNOT transfer road shocks that vary from the road shocks transferred to a transom. The bar, lower unit and transom act as a single unit as a triangular structure. This structure blocks the continuous torque oscillations of the tilted motor that otherwise would stress the transom by applying torque forces by the motor trying to rip the transom backwards off the boat. Absent a bar saver, the torque of the motor attempts to rotate out of phase with the vertical movements of the trailer and boat, at a rate, I estimate, of at least 1 to 2 oscillations per second on even relatively smooth roads.This is an incredible load on the transom at a rate far greater than when a boat is in the water.

I am not in the market, but if I were looking to buy, I would pass on a rig without a bar saver. That would make be nervous.