Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bow Mount 360 on Ranger FS or other Deep V? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Keeper

Default Bow Mount 360 on Ranger FS or other Deep V?

I’m a few weeks away from taking delivery of a Ranger 621 FS Pro. It will be outfitted with a Minnkota Ultrex and I’d like to add a 360 transducer. I’m concerned the transducer shaft won’t be long enough to properly submerge the transducer.

Is anyone running a Ranger FS (or other large multi-species boat) an Ultrex and a 360 transducer and if so how’s it working out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
I’m a few weeks away from taking delivery of a Ranger 621 FS Pro. It will be outfitted with a Minnkota Ultrex and I’d like to add a 360 transducer. I’m concerned the transducer shaft won’t be long enough to properly submerge the transducer.

Is anyone running a Ranger FS (or other large multi-species boat) an Ultrex and a 360 transducer and if so how’s it working out?
Good luck on the delivery. I am getting a FS 622 Pro in January and haven’t considered the 360 transducer option.
400 & 15 Merc.
15 & 10 Solix
112 Ulterra
Zip wake
Old 10-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

Bolts to the bottom of the Ultrex body and HB site says 39" overall. That is the standard 360. Not sure if the Mega 360 is the same. Not listed or released yet. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Wallhanger

No idea on the fit but I would at least wait to get the mega 360. Or better yet livescope up front and use the Hb at the console
BT terrova link
Old 10-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Bolts to the bottom of the Ultrex body and HB site says 39" overall. That is the standard 360. Not sure if the Mega 360 is the same. Not listed or released yet. Bob
Mega is listed on the HB website and also shows 39”. Assuming specs on the website are correct then the actual shaft length of both is 33” and 32” is useable since at least 1” has to remain above the mount. Transducer has to be submerged 6” under the surface. Top of mount appears to sit at same level as top of bow so if bow is 26” or less above water line it should work.

I was hoping someone who has been using one on a large multi-species boat could provide some feedback on how their’s works since I don’t have the boat yet. That said, I’ve figured out a way to modify the mounting bracket to give me extra mounting depth if needed so I’ve preordered a Mega 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
No idea on the fit but I would at least wait to get the mega 360. Or better yet livescope up front and use the Hb at the console
Definitely getting the Mega version. Livescope didn't interest me mostly because I don’t want to learn a second brand of graph.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Just a heads up to the OP. I have 3 friends who have recently bought Garmins with Livescope. They all love them! One friend sold 3 Lowrance units and replaced them with all Garmin. The other 2 friends bought the Garmins with Livescope and put them up front, but kept their Humminbirds at the helm. One said if he was made to choose only having 1 unit, he would choose the Livescope. Another fellow always claimed he local lake was fished out. With the Livescope he has been having a ball,finding fish he never knew were there. They all have the Livescope transducer mounted on a "stick" rather than the trolling motor. With the stick they can spin the transducer around keeping track of the fish without having to move the trolling motor as they usually have it in anchor mode. I have fished with 2 of them, and they never had to mess with any settings during the day, so I don't think having to learn a new "brand" would be an issue. I would strongly urge you to look at the Garmin Livescope! I'd love to have one, but unfortunately I can't get out fishing enough for the $$ investment.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Wallhanger

My upgrade this winter will be to a Garmin Force, replacing MK Ulterra.
This will integrate with 3 Garmin XSV units.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Minnow

Quote:

I have the Ranger FS 619 and was wondering the same thing. Surprised no one has been able to answer if they have a current gen 360 on the bow. Maybe ask this question in the General forums.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Mega is listed on the HB website and also shows 39”. Assuming specs on the website are correct then the actual shaft length of both is 33” and 32” is useable since at least 1” has to remain above the mount. Transducer has to be submerged 6” under the surface. Top of mount appears to sit at same level as top of bow so if bow is 26” or less above water line it should work.

I was hoping someone who has been using one on a large multi-species boat could provide some feedback on how their’s works since I don’t have the boat yet. That said, I’ve figured out a way to modify the mounting bracket to give me extra mounting depth if needed so I’ve preordered a Mega 360.

Definitely getting the Mega version. Livescope didn't interest me mostly because I don’t want to learn a second brand of graph.
What have you figured out to modify the mounting bracket?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye-Crappie Mostly View Post
What have you figured out to modify the mounting bracket?

Cut the stock mount in half close to the end that clamps onto the transducer shaft, add the length of extension required via 3/16” to 1/4” thick by 1” or so wide piece of aluminum. Width would be the same has the stock bracket. I’d also add a brace using the same material.

It’ll require cutting, welding and fabrication. I might even get it anodized finish redone so it looks professional. Good thing is I know of several shops in town that will do it for me but it won’t be inexpensive.

That said I don’t even know if it’ll need to be modified since I don’t have the boat (2 weeks out) or the Mega 360 transducer (pre-ordered and will probably have it in December).

If I end up doing it I’ll post a picture. If it works as is, I’ll post an update.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 11-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.