Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Storage of Tackle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default Storage of Tackle

Thinking about packing up rods and storing them in an uninsulated shed between using what I need and what I don’t. Will differences in temperature over time be harmful?

Also, does mono line degrade over time in a box out of the sunlight?

Tks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Wallhanger

Temperature should not be an issue, as long as it doesn't reach high levels, i.e. 100 degrees+.
Humidity would be a bigger concern, as that can lead to rust and/or corrosion. Make sure the rods and reels you put in storage are wiped clean, oiled and serviced. If dust could be an issue, but them in well-ventilated storage bags or wrap them in sheets.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Wallhanger

Tks. I keep my reels inside. I’ll keep the rods in pvc tubes or rod socks so they will be physically protected. No humidity where I live so no worries about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I keep desiccant pads in all my tackle containers- rust can be a silent destroyer of hooks. Mono should be OK in cool/cold, not so much if hot. Rods and reels should not be a factor in cold, however I'd be more uncomfortable storing in heat, but not for any particular reason other than the mono issue.

Bill
Old 12-09-2019, 05:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

The thought that immediately came to mind is to make absolutely certain that the rods are stored "straight". I would not store them in any way that would have the rods curved - such as leaning them against a wall in the corner. I've seen situations where fishing rods slowly and permanently take on the curve. I believe that excessive heat magnifies this problem.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Over time as you become older you no longer worry about these concerns.........I have rods stored in my center rod locker from the last time I used them and MANY more rods stored in my garage attic just above the boat ready to be selected if I need them. NO care whatsoever to them other then putting them away.

When I was younger I would change fishing line on each rod come spring and oil/grease the reels.........I know longer do that and haven't done that in many years unless there was too much line missing on a reel that I cast with, making it difficult to acquire long distance casts.

To this date I have never lost of fish because I didn't have FRESH line on that reel or oil/grease those reels.

I have a rather large bear made out of concrete that I painted many years ago. The bear has it paws reaching out towards you. Between those paws I have a old walking stick that I brought home many years ago from Big Gull Lake in Ontario.......it's a weathered piece of drift wood that made a great walking stick when we were up there. This past July I tied a plastic fish to 8 lb test mono and then tied it to the stick so it looks like the bear caught a fish. That fish is still hanging there exposed to the sun most of the day as it faces do WEST. Every so often I will look out and still see that plastic fish hanging there proving to me that mono is a LOT tougher then most guys here think.

Do whatever you wish with your equipment, after all it's your stuff. But if you have other financial concerns that take precedent over new fishing line, rest assure you will be OK come spring.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Columbia,
A really nice way to long term store rods is in a larger long cardboard rod box.

You can often pick up boxes like this at your local sporting goods stores.

Take off your reels, and keep them in the house.

Then, take all or your rods and lay them in the box - tip to butt to tip to butt etc.

In a typical 12 x10 inch by 10 foot long box you can get about 30 -40 rods stored very nicely and dead straight.

Then, with your reels at your disposal. go through all of the reels to clean and lubricate them all, double checking for any issues. Leave all of the drags on the reels dead loose. If you are going to change line, remove the line from the reels and just leave the reels without line.

Then, a few weeks or so before fishing the first time, use your bulk reel of line to fill your reel of choice.

Take care
Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

You might want to use rubber coated hooks for the rods. Installed on the sides or top of your shed. I use the hooks attached to a board on my garage ceiling. Instead of the rods piled together. Maybe if you have some 150 dollar plus rods. Those I would keep in the house. I would not keep rods stored in a center rod locker. Unless you keep the hatch open. Maybe it would not be a problem during winter. I had my rods develop some mold on the foam handles when sealed in a center rod locker during summer. After fishing and not being able to use my boat for awhile. As far as using mono in the package the next year. I started putting the year when purchased on the box . I will use the line the next year. But not the third year.