Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat realigning itself on trailer?... - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Correction: The safety strap I mentioned connects to a lower spot on the bow roller post, not on the winch post. So there would indeed need to be multiple simultaneous failures for the bow of the boat to be able to rise up off of the trailer. And in that exceedingly unlikely case, of course, the boat would still be double-strapped to the trailer at the stern.

The connection points of those rear straps to the trailer do look symmetrical, but I haven't taken a tape measure to them yet.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I know that the two transom straps are under equal tension or very close to it - and are definitely not super tight - because my obsessive-compulsive tendencies prompt me to always check that as best I'm able by pulling on the straps with a finger to see how much I can deflect them after I've ratcheted them. About as good as one could tell without instrumentation, I reckon.

Their connections to the boat are symmetrical, I'm confident, and my impression is that their connections to the trailer are as well, but that is something I haven't scrutinized. I'll look tomorrow specifically with that in mind, maybe even take a tape measure to check whether the distances are equal.

Interesting idea, in any event!

Just a thought, ya know? Hope it helps, maybe.

By the way, Amouse, my nephew back in MN recently sent my wife and me a gift pack that included a couple of lbs of Thuringer summer sausage, as he knows it's a favorite of ours that we can't get here in NY. I had some in a sandwich today, and gave you - and your poor delusions about summer sausages - a fleeting thought while I enjoyed it. Mightily, I might add.

Gerry
SHUP you.
Nobody wants to hear your delusional thoughts on Thurgreasy snausage.

ROTFLMFAO

Number 1 Son worked at Oscar Mayer for 8 years. Just asked him how much fat they dump into thuringer and he said "You don't want to know - it's SO gross!"

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-12-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Number 1 Son worked at Oscar Mayer for 8 years. Just asked him how much fat they dump into thuringer and he said "You don't want to know - it's SO gross!"
Well there's your problem, right there. OSCAR MAYER summer sausage? Aren't they owned by Kraft nowadays? No thank you!

We favor Klement's. (Yes, a WI product!) Only a smidgen leaner (25% fat by weight, versus 27% for Oscar Mayer), but so much tastier! Back when we lived in MN there was another brand we liked even better, but it's apparently no longer available.

Gerry
Old 09-15-2020, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Several years ago, I was pulling my boat with our motor home.

One day, someone else was driving and I glanced out the back window of the motor home and observed the boat being pulled by the motor home.

At the time we were driving over a road that was in somewhat poor repair and thus was giving all of us and the boat trailer a rather rough ride.

I had not realized it before but the boa's bow, held to the trailer with the winch strap in the front only as well as the two stern gunnel straps was bouncing up and down quite a bit from the rough road. It was not too much longer when I found that upon checking the trailer that the stress from the boats bow bouncing up and down had actually broken the bow roller bolt.

This incident caused me to search out a solution and as others have said, I now use a very heavy duty vertical bow strap that connects to the boats bow eye - in conjunction with the winch strap hook and the safety strap hook.

After initially just using a loop in the vertical strap that was looped around the frame, I installed a permanent eye bolt in the frame of the trailer to attach a hook from the vertical bow tie down strap.

In follow up observations, I see 0 separation of the boat's bow to the bow V block.

---------------------------
So, when I load my boat, I always do the following in the same order.

I drive the boat on the trailer up to the V - block. Hook up the winch strap and then have the driver pull the trailer and boat out of the water.

Once up in the parking lot, I double check the winch strap to be sure that the bow of the boat is tight to the trailer v-block. Then, I loosen the winch strap and hook on the bow tie down strap and snap it very tight. Then, I do another partial turn of the winch to insure that the winch strap is absolutely tight and the boat's bow is tight to the trailer v-block.

Then, I go to the rear of the boat and connect and tighten the two transom straps and make them piano wire tight.

---------------------------------
Following the procedure listed above - in the order shown, I essentially get 0 movement of the boat with respect to the trailer.

Good luck
Old 09-15-2020, 02:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
So, when I load my boat, I always do the following in the same order.
I drive the boat on the trailer up to the V - block. Hook up the winch strap and then have the driver pull the trailer and boat out of the water.
Good luck
Mr Rogers, I am confused because in all your previous post about loading your boat onto the trailer you have always said you put the trailer in deep to float the boat onto the trailer using boots. But now you say you drive the boat onto the trailer. I thought that was a NO NO in most of your area launches ? ? ?

Either way I do enjoy Mr Roger's Story Hour.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-15-2020, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Well there's your problem, right there. OSCAR MAYER summer sausage? Aren't they owned by Kraft nowadays? No thank you!

We favor Klement's. (Yes, a WI product!) Only a smidgen leaner (25% fat by weight, versus 27% for Oscar Mayer), but so much tastier! Back when we lived in MN there was another brand we liked even better, but it's apparently no longer available.

Gerry
and a great reason to eat neither!! wowzer!!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
and a great reason to eat neither!! wowzer!!
A portion of the fat we eat is converted to cholesterol...
A portion of the cholesterol is converted to steroids, including testosterone...
In women, much of the testosterone is converted to estrogen.

So from a hormonal standpoint, eating fat makes men more manly and women more womanly.

And from another approach...

Bacon typically contains more than 30% fat by weight, sometimes even more than 40%. You eat bacon, don't you? Or are you UN-AMERICAN?!?

Gerry
Old 09-17-2020, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
A portion of the fat we eat is converted to cholesterol...
A portion of the cholesterol is converted to steroids, including testosterone...
In women, much of the testosterone is converted to estrogen.

So from a hormonal standpoint, eating fat makes men more manly and women more womanly.

And from another approach...

Bacon typically contains more than 30% fat by weight, sometimes even more than 40%. You eat bacon, don't you? Or are you UN-AMERICAN?!?

Gerry
ROTFLMFAO
Way to lay the gavel on him, Justice Thurgreasy Marshall.

NEVER mess with another man's meat, it will never end well.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-17-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

I have to correct what I said earlier. Went to our condo to do some musky fishing the other day, and took a look at my bow eye. It also stops about a half inch short of the roller, but still stays centered. Not a big deal either way.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

As one gets older, the best thing to do is to really reduce your intake of fat of any sort.

As the saying goes, "eat fat, be fat."

Nothing manly, or womanly about carrying excess weight.

Excess weight just slows you down, ages you, stresses your heart and makes it tougher to live a vigorous life.

But, absolutely, eat what ever you wish and enjoy the results of your meals, what ever that is for you.

The other thing that helps a lot, or at least for me, is to limit your meal to a single helping, and as you get older, begin to eat from smaller plates. That way, even a nice serving on a smaller plate is fewer calories.

When someone says, eat the food or it will go to waste, simply say, if I eat it - it will go to my waist, but I would rather it go to the waste basket:

Take care