Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
SD Pheasant Hunting Recommendations - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

Correct, SD has more than all others - combined. Google some places around winner, gregory, burke. Should make for a closer trip. However if it was me I would go to the pierre area to bird hunt and bring my boat and put in for a couple days. End of OCtober would be some good fishin.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
Correct, SD has more than all others - combined. Google some places around winner, gregory, burke. Should make for a closer trip. However if it was me I would go to the pierre area to bird hunt and bring my boat and put in for a couple days. End of OCtober would be some good fishin.
My boat lives in South Dakota... unfortunately, I don't.. Someday,, before its too late..

I look to be doing more fall fishing this year, unless things change on the bird front..
Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Keeper

seeing more and more birds in the mobridge area every day with the late hatch seems the brood count in lower than what it really is around here. Even in bad years around here is better than most places good years. East river deer starts late this year November 23 so if coming late keep that in mind
Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

To all that don't know if you come in late November I would suggest leaving your 5 shot at home. Buy some 4 shot of your favorite brand, I like federals prairie storm because every box I buy a donation goes to pheasants forever. You are going to want the punch of a 4 shot to kill the bird.
Bring chokes, you may need as much as a full depending on how much the birds have been hunted

And AIM HIGH. These late birds might be flying low at this time. Be careful with your shot selection. We don't need dogs shot or anybody shot. I've been shot, I don't like it. I get very P.O. and by the time I'm done yelling (and i will be 3" from your face) someone's feelings are hurt and their rear has a boot in it. There is no need for that type of shooting nonsense.

Remember to have fun, respect the birds and those you hunt with

Last edited by Gregking; 09-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Slot Fish

Yes in case you didn't know don't shoot at people or at dogs. Also don't look into the sun (especially during an eclipse because you will go blind), and when you cross the street be sure to look both ways.

Now that we got that out of the way and that I now I'm safe from being shot by you:

The pheasant population is less than stellar this year, in the past I have had good luck with walk-in areas up by shadehill. It is a long ways away though and not sure if it would be worth the drive this year.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

ridicule of gun safety helps no-one
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
To all that don't know if you come in late November I would suggest leaving your 5 shot at home. Buy some 4 shot of your favorite brand, I like federals prairie storm because every box I buy a donation goes to pheasants forever. You are going to want the punch of a 4 shot to kill the bird.
Bring chokes, you may need as much as a full depending on how much the birds have been hunted

And AIM HIGH. These late birds might be flying low at this time. Be careful with your shot selection. We don't need dogs shot or anybody shot. I've been shot, I don't like it. I get very P.O. and by the time I'm done yelling (and i will be 3" from your face) someone's feelings are hurt and their rear has a boot in it. There is no need for that type of shooting nonsense.

Remember to have fun, respect the birds and those you hunt with
Depends on how you hunt and your shot selection. I hunt alone...(or if I'm with someone, we both go different ways with our own dogs) shoot 6s early and 5s later over pointing dogs with a IC over Mod tubes in my double... If my bird doesn't originate 20-25 yards or less, it doesn't get shot at. I don't need (or want)full choke, or prairie storm..

To each his own..
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Exactly
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Wallhanger

I thought I would share a funny story that happened awhile ago. It was opening weekend for out of staters. I was working in a hospital in a very well know town for great birds. In comes a guy from the north east part of the country with a couple BB's in his cheek. Luckily he was wearing safety glasses. The ER doc said we will have to cut your cheek to get those BB's out.

He replied " is this going to leave a mark?"

Doc "you will need to wear some band aides for a couple weeks"

The hunter "uh, can I leave them in?"

Doc " I do not suggest it"

The hunter " we'll my wife thinks I'm out here on business and if she found out what I'm really doing she will kill me".

He checked himself out plus 2. Lol
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Slot Fish

Within reason I think gauge/shot/choke selection for pheasants is as much about what you have confidence in. My dad always shot federal 6's and so that is what usually shoot. Much of that may have been due to the fact that where we hunt we would traditionally find quail as well.

On a side note, the only scientific study I have ever seen on shot size and effectiveness on birds was done by Tom Roster. He studied non-toxic shot and for pheasants he recommended steel 2's or 3's for pheasants in IC (20-30 yards) or MOD (30-50 yards) chokes. In hevi-shot he recommended #4's. In general he found fewer/larger pellets put more pellets in the vitals than more/smaller pellets (I think he did his testing on dead birds at ranges of 20-50 yards). Based on his data, one could infer that lead 4 shot would be better as compared to 6's. Now, like I mentioned I don't necessarily follow this as I rarely shot lead 4's for pheasants, but I found the study interesting.

Anyway thanks for everyone who has offered information and advice. I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do and so if anybody has any thoughts I am all ears.

NVM