Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tiller Assit - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Minnow

Default Tiller Assit

Hey guys own a new 90hp Yamaha tiller and looking at something to help with the Torque, long trips especially in average condition , has anyone got a tiller assist and are they worth it

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
Hey guys own a new 90hp Yamaha tiller and looking at something to help with the Torque, long trips especially in average condition , has anyone got a tiller assist and are they worth it

Cheers
Keep in mind, Uflex now offers a version of their ZTF system that is pretty similar to the original Merten's Titan design.

https://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/...r-handles.html

HRG
Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Keeper

I installed one this spring, wish I would've bought one awhile ago. I haven't really had a need to use the lockout button yet. I rarely ever went full throttle before, too much torque - usually kept speeds mid to high 20s. After install I caught myself going full throttle fairly often just because I don't notice the torque now. Run around 30 mph common now for me.

ZFT wasn't an option since I've got a 2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy View Post

Cheers
Just a question for you. Are you not able to adjust the engine's trim tab to counteract the torque?

https://itstillruns.com/do-trim-tab-...r-5966607.html
Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

I look at them once in a while, then running away screaming from the price.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post
I installed one this spring, wish I would've bought one awhile ago. I haven't really had a need to use the lockout button yet. I rarely ever went full throttle before, too much torque - usually kept speeds mid to high 20s. After install I caught myself going full throttle fairly often just because I don't notice the torque now. Run around 30 mph common now for me.

ZFT wasn't an option since I've got a 2005.
I'm curious what boat/motor you are running? I have an Alumacraft Competitor 185 with a 90 Yamaha tiller. I experience some torquing of the tiller handle when trimmed down and getting on plane. Once I'm up on plane and trim up the motor almost all the torque is gone. I could probably let go of the handle.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh454 View Post
I'm curious what boat/motor you are running? I have an Alumacraft Competitor 185 with a 90 Yamaha tiller. I experience some torquing of the tiller handle when trimmed down and getting on plane. Once I'm up on plane and trim up the motor almost all the torque is gone. I could probably let go of the handle.
Lund explorer 1800/90 tiller - pretty similar to you I imagine. I could do the same when on plane/calm. I raised my motor up a couple holes/played with the torque tab but it was never perfect. Now it is
Old 06-21-2019, 05:21 AM
Keeper

I've got one on a 90hp Yamaha. Was money well spent in my opinion. I do have the lock switch mounted where my hand normally rests while running and my thumb rests on it. Very seldom use or need the switch engaged. Second season of use and no issues or complaints.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

I put the Tiller Assist on my 2009 90hp Yamaha and on the 1st run with it I said to my son "this may be the best money I have spent on the boat". I mounted the button on a 4"x12" piece of cutting board and can move it to where ever is convenient. I did have a little slop in the unit after some use and called Jon about it. I have found the oil I need to add to the reservoir per his suggestion and hopefully it will fix the problem. It has been a huge improvement in fatigue and strain when traveling any distance. As others have said with proper trim and adjustment you can make running the motor pretty effortless "if" things are calm. But add in a 2' chop and a several mile run and the assist will shine. You will not regret the purchase! Not much more than a good sonar unit and money well spent...
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Keeper

I have one on a 75hp Mercury 4 stroke. This is the third year and been flawless. Its really nice and works as advertised. I find im more apt to travel farther with it, like 10 miles across Green Bay with a north wind. I use it all the time even on local small lakes and even getting on plane. My boats tuned torque free but if its rough and you can only go 8 mph gonna be constant torque on your shoulder unless you have something like this.

I mounted the button/switch to a piece of Velcro and on the side of the cockpit near where my left foot normally is when running. Its out of the way and running it with my foot keeps my second hand free for other things like catching a hat that is about to fly off or eating a sandwich. Honestly it seems so instinctual to use that I don't even notice using it.

Thumbs up from me.