Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Paper lake maps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Slot Fish

Default Paper lake maps

I like a waterproof paper map to go along with my boat GPS. I have always used Red Lake Digital exlorer series but I have done a google search with no luck. Any ideas online where to buy them? I think the last map I bought was at the bait shop in Dryden. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Default print out what you need and keep it in a good zip lock bag

https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.o...e&locale=en-US
Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Keeper

www.Trakmaps.com
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Slot Fish

Funny this thread came up. I just got done waterproofing a map today and I think it will work well. Our outfitter provides a map that is just twice the size of a standard 9X11.5 sheet. In the past my bank had a heat laminate that was big enough to cover it, but they quit providing that service. So I was at Wal-mart today and picked up a pack of 5ml laminating pouches. My map fit nicely in two of them and I superglued the edges shut. I put a strip of invisible tape on the map where the edges met and glued that also. The heat laminate always worked for the first few days, but let go eventually and water got in. Hope this works. It's so nice on a new lake to have a map spread out beside me so I can follow along as we explore. We go on flyins and just take simple depth finders so can't retrace our route and I doubt there are lake chips even available where we go.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Keeper

I just go to places like Office Depot and they can enlarge a standard 8 x11 sheet of paper and then laminate.. Have been doing this for several years now and I never have any issues with any water leakage under the laminate.. Have the same issue that the fly-in lakes we use are not mapped but some simple navigation skills and a back-up compass will always work to get us back to the cabin..(we also do not fish huge lakes)..
Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 AM
Wallhanger

I do the same thing with laminating copies of my fishing license that stays in the boat with me inside a dry bag. I have had enough stuff blow out of a boat( including maps) so I went with laminating licenses just in case that were to happen again....which it will. 😱

I haven't done the map laminating suggestion, but it definitely has merit if the map size isn't too large to easily stow and use while underway.

Regarding waterproof maps, another company I have used beyond the suggestions already provided is canadamapsales.com They are out of Winnipeg, MB.

PjShorthorn
Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona77 View Post
I just go to places like Office Depot and they can enlarge a standard 8 x11 sheet of paper and then laminate.. Have been doing this for several years now and I never have any issues with any water leakage under the laminate.. Have the same issue that the fly-in lakes we use are not mapped but some simple navigation skills and a back-up compass will always work to get us back to the cabin..(we also do not fish huge lakes)..
Same here, businesses which do printing can blow up and laminate, and price is very reasonable. Laminate holds up very well, has been the way to go for me.

Bill
Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Slot Fish

I found them online at Milwaukee Map.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Having a good map is a good idea........the problem is you would be amazed at how many people have NO Idea how to read one.
When I worked for AAA, they actually had classes for new drivers, and anyone else who were map reading challenged.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by IaDave14 View Post
I like a waterproof paper map to go along with my boat GPS. I have always used Red Lake Digital exlorer series but I have done a google search with no luck. Any ideas online where to buy them? I think the last map I bought was at the bait shop in Dryden. Thanks in advance.

I own a small business and worked with our local printer to produce maps for my trip coming up to a new lake. He suggested a vinyl paper that he carries. It's pretty remarkable- fully waterproof, thin, fold-able just like regular paper, has a better feel to it than laminated. Maybe you can find someone local that could help? Otherwise I can give you the name to my guy