Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2019 Canada Trip - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Minnow

Default 2019 Canada Trip

Good morning! Due to various reasons, I am looking for a drive-in trip sometime in mid August or mid September, 2019, rather than a fly-in. There will be my two brothers in law, one of their 12 year old boys, and myself. We are looking for someplace that is not a large resort. We would need a housekeeping cabin and a couple boats and motors. Looking more for numbers rather than trophies. Walleye would be number one target followed by northern. Smallmouth bass would be a bonus. Coming from central Indiana, so 16 hour or so drive. Any recommendations will be appreciated. I have looked at the Dominion Lake Outpost with Discovery Lake Lodge near Sioux Lookout, Prairie Bee Outpost and Happy Day Lodge near Chapleau. Any experience with any of these? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Keeper

Check out Woman River Camp. Outpost is great if you want to go 'off grid' so to speak. Nice shower house, hot water, elec...etc. Their resort is nice too if that's your thing. Great rental boats with Helix and spot-lock if you want to upgrade. Walleye, Northern and smallie haven...

I'd also recommend Gold Pines in Ear Falls - really great camp, great marina and friendly people. Can't speak on their boat rentals however.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

What size lake are you looking to fish? And how much privacy and seclusion to you want?

I've been to Happy Day a handful of times. You can shoot me a PM with questions or search up some of my old posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Minnow

As far as lake size, either a smaller lake, or smaller areas on a large lake. Privacy and seclusion are nice, but I realize that is unlikely going to a drive in lake.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Keeper

Default drive-in resort

May I suggest you check out Poplar Point Resort which is on Gullrock Lake about 12 miles south of Red Lake. The camp owners Eddie and Lisa are willing to bend over backward for you. Cabins have all been renovated, camp boats are top notch. In my boat, it takes 20 minutes to reach the farthest part of the lake. There is plenty of structure to challenge even the hardiest of anglers. If you find that you have a rainy day, jump in your vehicle and head to town, check out the gold mining history of the region. Have lunch at Tim Horton's on the south end of town. By that time, the storm clouds have passed over and its time to hit the water again.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 AM
mrcrampster

Hi. Sunset Lodge in Red Lake is a great small resort. the fishing is fabulous and the boats are top notch. Tight lines.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Wallhanger

Lake of the Woods and Lac Seul are both within 16 hours of Indy.

They are gigantic lakes, but they don't have to fish that way. And there are tons of very nice drive-to lodges on both lakes. There are some lodges on those lakes with fantastic reputations.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

Check out www.birchdalelodge.com 807-227-5262 owners name is Marcel. On Eagle Lake on the NE end of the lake.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:33 PM
acplumber guest

Default 5 mile lake lodge

Since u have looked around the Chapleau area, we did a father/sons trip to lake winnebagon last year. Was a fantastic lake. its a boat in trip, but u r the only cabin on the lake. cabin and boats were all in good shape. The owners were nice and professional. I would go back for sure. Theres pike, walleye and perch in the lake (whitefish to but we didn't catch any). Cabin is on an island. I highly suggest giving five mile lake lodge a call
Old 08-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Since you asked for advice.....I and my friends have fished Chapleau area lakes in year past (incl Happy Day several times) and now fish NW Ontario water. There is no comparison between the two areas. We drive 24 hours each way, and yes, we'd rather have a one day drive.....but....the fishing in NW Ontario is worth the longer drive.

We found that the Chapleau, Ontario area lakes are "OK" fishing (no doubt they beat inland Indiana or Ohio lakes hands down), though the lakes in NW Ontario are truly the "gold standard" for walleye, pike, Musky, SM Bass fishing. etc.

All things being equal, I'd head to NW Ontario in a heart beat, and your two BIL and the younger boys will thank you.

Some folks may tell you different, but where do the TV fishing shows film a lot of their
programs ?

You have your choice of Rainy Lake, Eagle Lake, LOTW, Lac Suel, etc and the choices go on and on.

Good luck finding your right lake and camp.

Rich B