Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
lithium battery questions - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Thanks, concerning overcharging, is it critical to unplug immediately when they're charged? I'm thinking that if I fish all morning, then come in for lunch, a nap and maybe a run to town will it affect the batteries if they're left plugged in a little past the point of a full charge? Just trying to figure out how finicky they are. they're certainly too expensive to be making a mistake.

Mark
As long as your charger is working correctly you shouldn't have any issues with it. There is also no reason to charge them everytime you go out. If they are at 80% they will be at 79% in 6 months.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 9" console
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Definitely nothing to obsess over. I am talking about leaving it plugged in for days and weeks. I had a bad experience years ago with lightning. Everything hooked to the batteries was trashed. I don't leave it plugged in if I can avoid it. Like Flying said " there is no reason to get it on a charger quick other than you need it quick. No penalty like lead acid in leaving the battery low on charge for a long time. There is more risk with over than undercharging. They are not wimpy batteries and the BMS programming will protect from potential harm. Not lightning proof though. Bob
Old 11-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Minnow

So will my dual pro 4 bank charger charge 3 lithium 100ah batteries? Was thinking about upgrading to lithium this winter also.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott keling View Post
So will my dual pro 4 bank charger charge 3 lithium 100ah batteries? Was thinking about upgrading to lithium this winter also.
I could be wrong but i don't think the dual pro charges will charge the lithium batteries correctly

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Minnow

So if a guy had one of these as a starting battery, the alternator wouldn’t charge it...? What is the difference here?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott keling View Post
So if a guy had one of these as a starting battery, the alternator wouldn’t charge it...? What is the difference here?
The alternator would indeed charge it, depending on the alternator, some lithiums can have issues with the amount of amperage coming in from the alternator and shut the battery down for safety (spikes can happen with alternators as well with the same result). Most of the newer ones that are advertised as starting batteries have overcome this issue though.

The issue with most onboard chargers is the charge profile. They get the battery to a certain voltage then float to keep it topped off, this isn't good for a Lithium battery, they also don't tend to get a lithium up to full charge because they are measuring voltage to check discharge levels, which doesn't work with lithium. Minn Kota PC chargers have a selectable profile and the AGM setting works for lithiums. The dual pros don't have a user selectable profile and have to be shipped to dual pro to be reprogrammed. Depending on the dual pro you have, it could have issues with AGM batteries as well.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 9" console
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 11-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Minnow

Ok with that said, my starting battery is a size 31 agm battery. It was installed at the factory. I have a 2020 ranger 1880 angler with 200hp pro xs 4 stroke. This motor requires that battery. And the dual pro charger charges it fine.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:16 PM
Minnow

I have heard people say there may be issues with the main motor charging the lithium batteries. I was advised to avoid using them for a starting battery. Nothing official. I did not contact Mercury or a battery manufacturer.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:23 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswan View Post
I have heard people say there may be issues with the main motor charging the lithium batteries. I was advised to avoid using them for a starting battery. Nothing official. I did not contact Mercury or a battery manufacturer.
I contacted Amped Outdoors and Battle Born battery companies and they recommended to use SPECIFIC chargers that are set up to charge their lithium batteries for my trolling motor and when I asked about starting batteries for my 150 Optimax they said to use AGM batteries & charger as lithium batteries can cause problems for the Mercury engines. Just what I was told.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM
Minnow

Yeah I wasn’t really wanting a lithium battery for the starting battery. Seen a complete boat setup on one of the lithium battery sites and it had a 12v lithium starting battery and one 36v TM battery and a power pole charge for 5k. Wasn’t going to go to that. But was wondering about how it all works in conjunction with the engine alternator