Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
MinnKota CoPilot Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM
jdscott

Default MinnKota CoPilot Problem

Well it seems my copilot has died. It gets lost after the first course correction, it has gradually been getting worse. I checked voltage it is at 25.6 with the prop running. Has anyone else seen these problems and is there anyplace in the Detroit area for repair that you have dealt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Keeper

Default RE: MinnKota CoPilot Problem

I my first one burn out within the first year. It was replaced under warranty. They cannot be fixed.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
MeToo

>I my first one burn out within the first year. It was
>replaced under warranty. They cannot be fixed.

Mine lasted 2 years. It has an intermittent short in it. I talked to the authorized repair guy for this area. He said it was out of warranty, the short would be tough to find, and I would be better off buying a new one.

I had a better idea. I took mine off and junked it. Well, actually, it is on a "to be junked" shelf in my basement. But I ain't buying another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

doesnt sound like the co pilot, sounds like the compass board.

Can you still steer with the co pilot? It has noting to do with keeping the heading for the a/p. Thats done in the motor head by the compass board

if you cant steer at all with the co pilot remote than yes, there is a problem with it. also try replacing the battery inside the remote control

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
benelliguy

with the motor running,pull on the entire length of the 'coiled" cord that runs from the main board to the top of the trolling motor.if the motor cuts out or it steers itself that means there is a wire in that cluster that is shorting out.the fix is to have a shop replace the coil and re-calibrate the steering.sometimes the auto pilots acn be frustrating but they are fixable by a qualified tech guy.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
jdscott

Yes I can still steer with the remote....everything works fine but the autopilot.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

then its not the copilot as it has nothing to do with the autopilot feature

I bet a recal of the compass board would fix it

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Slot Fish

My CoPilot has started to make a ticking noise. It sounds like it is ticking every second. When I push a button to turn the motor it stops ticking until I take my finger off the button.

I know it is coming from the co-pilot because I put my finger on the co-pilot and I can feel it and hear it coming from there.

Has anybody else had this issue? Can it be fixed? Or do I need to buy another one? Thanks for any help on this.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

its supposed to do that. you can turn it on and off. Must have got turned on somehow.

its in the owners manual how to shut it off. I dont have it with my or i would tell you how, Im sure someone else will know if you dont have your manual

Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Yup

>its supposed to do that. you can turn it on and off. Must
>have got turned on somehow.
>
>its in the owners manual how to shut it off. I dont have it
>with my or i would tell you how, Im sure someone else will
>know if you dont have your manual

Perch is right again. I discovered it the same way you did, probably. :rotflmao:

The “ticking” was caused by pushing “– and +” prop speed of Co-Pilot at same time. You stop it by pushing them a second time. It is designed as option to let user know the Co-pilot is on.