Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Lund 202GL trailer clearance - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebustor View Post
The dealer contacted the rep for Lund/Brunswick and he suggested to add shims. At the time I took the pictures the only thing the dealer had done to the boat was take the plastic shrink wrap off. Not sure what you are referring to around the light on the fender I think it's just the metal housing enclosing the light.
What about the bow stop ? That is fixed and I wonder if you raised the bunks would have to raise the bow stop, it's welded.

Personally I see no reason to have to jerry rig a trailer on a brand new boat. Lund should determine if it is within spec or not and explain what happens when the carpet starts to compress under the weight of the boat plus wood will expand and contract a bit based on being wet/dry. I think the issues is the fender option. Seems that it is thicker than the standard fenders. If you look at the email they sent me it says;

The fenders being so close to the boat could come from a couple different areas. First if the mounting holes on the fenders is off, or if the wrong fenders were installed, there could be a clearance issue. There could also be some issues with the distance between the steps which could bow the fender upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	327286  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2021, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Interesting thread. I just bought a 2016 202 ProV GL. It has a new 2021 Shorelander trailer under it. My 2014 had a Boatmate trailer. Are Shorelander & Boatmate the same manufacture selling under different names?
Old 06-22-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Some pictures of other 202 lg on trailers:

https://www.townsendmarine.com/inven...9644-10883001i

Another picture of a different boat:

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/lundboat700.html

Here are a bunch of pictures of 202 lg on trailers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...m4fXgcaajVQGyM

--------------------------------------------
From all of these pictures, it sure seems that all of the boats are sitting on their trailers with about the same clearance as you have with your trailer.

Maybe there is something magic about the setup that allows the boats and trailers be setup in this way with no hull or trailer issue. Doesn't look right to me - but perhaps Lund knows something unique that is not obvious to the casual observer.

Last edited by REW; 06-22-2021 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Some pictures of other 202 lg on trailers:

https://www.townsendmarine.com/inven...9644-10883001i

Another picture of a different boat:

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/lundboat700.html

Here are a bunch of pictures of 202 lg on trailers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...m4fXgcaajVQGyM

--------------------------------------------
From all of these pictures, it sure seems that all of the boats are sitting on their trailers with about the same clearance as you have with your trailer.

Maybe there is something magic about the setup that allows the boats and trailers be setup in this way with no hull or trailer issue. Doesn't look right to me - but perhaps Lund knows something unique that is not obvious to the casual observer.
Thanks for the links it does appear there should be about an inch of clearance give or take a little. I let the dealer know about this post and to check to see if the fenders have any adjustment. I appreciate all the help you folks have provided!
Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Is the boat centered?
It looks like the boat is off to starboard a little That would bring the chine down on port and even moreso in the rear.

Yes that is close, however, the bunks don't move. If it is the correct trailer, the trailer is built to fit the boat. The bunks are mounted solid to the frame..and the fenders are as well, . There should be no movement amongst the 3 components (Frame, bunks, fenders)
The only thing that can change the gap is the object that can move-- the boat. Depending on how the how the boat is sitting (On center..or off center).

Theoretically..
If the boat is loaded off center.. closer to port-- (the side in the picture).. the boat would actually gain elevation on that side. At the same time... on the other side, it would make boat far enough away horizontally to clear. If loaded closer to starboard ..then the opposite occurs.

There may be an error on the trailer and you are doing the right thing by having it checked.
Whatever is man made..... has the potential to be screwed up.

Let us know howyou make out.

{PS..Sorry I missed all the action ... I was without internet since last Sat night)

Last edited by T Mac; 06-25-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Is the boat centered?
It looks like the boat is off to starboard a little That would bring the chine down on port and even moreso in the rear.

Yes that is close, however, the bunks don't move. If it is the correct trailer, the trailer is built to fit the boat. The bunks are mounted solid to the frame..and the fenders are as well, . There should be no movement amongst the 3 components (Frame, bunks, fenders)
The only thing that can change the gap is the object that can move-- the boat. Depending on how the how the boat is sitting (On center..or off center).

Theoretically..
If the boat is loaded off center.. closer to port-- (the side in the picture).. the boat would actually gain elevation on that side. At the same time... on the other side, it would make boat far enough away horizontally to clear. If loaded closer to starboard ..then the opposite occurs.

There may be an error on the trailer and you are doing the right thing by having it checked.
Whatever is man made..... has the potential to be screwed up.

Let us know howyou make out.

{PS..Sorry I missed all the action ... I was without internet since last Sat night)
That is what it looked like to me also. A common thing I see is loading with trailer to deep letting the boat float and when it pulled out it goes where it wants. Some people see the shallow water at the front and think the have to go deeper realizing the hull will never bit at the bow because its on the bunks. Good call.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 10-24-2021, 03:28 PM
Minnow

Sorry for the delay in reporting the solution. The solution to this issue was to install 3/4" spacers supplied by the manufacturer under the bunk supports which gave me about an 1.5" clearance. There was no explanation why this happened.