Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Navionics vs. Lakemaster for Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-22-2021, 09:52 AM
Minnow

Default Navionics vs. Lakemaster for Ontario

Hi All,

Looking for some feedback on Navionics Hotmaps Platinum or Lakemaster v2.0 for Ontario. Reviews on Humminbird for the v2.0 Ontario chip are not good at all. I have only ever purchased Lakemaster chips so I have no experience with Navionics at all.

For what its worth I run 2 Helix G3Ns and fish @ LOTW and Lac Seul.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2021, 02:12 PM
Wallhanger

I can't tell you about the lakemaster for Ontario, since this will be the first year I get to try the Lakemaster chip.

However I have been running Navionics's in Ontario and I can tell you depending on the lake or at least the ones I fish. They can be relatively close maybe within 10 meters to 400 meters off., don't expect any hazards well mapped, if they are you can already see them above water. Yes I said 400 meters off. Lake 50 miles down the road relatively close. Contours are all extrapolated and mean little to nothing. Now if you are on a big lake lots of islands trying to get back to a point it is helpful as a map but be very alert.

Honestly my expectations are not high for the Lakemaster chip, but my thought is it can't be any worse.

Still great value from understanding general location, and helpful in navigation but do not in any way shape or form think your position on the map is accurate enough to keep you out of trouble. Eyes and sonar.

One lake I fish goes from 300ft to remove your lower unit in as fast as I can type this sentence. does not even show on the Navionics chart.

It has gotten me back to camp more than once all the same. As crappy as they can be I would still have one or the other.

Certainly better than nothing...
Old 07-22-2021, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

Don't trust any map especially the first trip. Lakemaster is only accurate if the lake is a Lakemaster HD survey. The rest are as mentioned. You might look at the Navionics Web App using the sonar chart view ( crowd shared mapping) Don't trust it either ,but there might be some good charts compared to the original maps. If it looks good to you download it. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2021, 07:15 AM
Minnow

Thank you both for the responses.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Don't trust any map especially the first trip. Lakemaster is only accurate if the lake is a Lakemaster HD survey. The rest are as mentioned. You might look at the Navionics Web App using the sonar chart view ( crowd shared mapping) Don't trust it either ,but there might be some good charts compared to the original maps. If it looks good to you download it. Bob
Even Lakemaster HD maps aren't accurate on all parts of the lakes where I've used them. In my experience, Navionics maps are less accurate than Lakemaster where I've used them.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

Like I said don't believe anything till you drive over it. KP you are probably familiar, but many lakes are labeled "HD"
are purchased for lakemaster to put in their chips, but they are like most maps, inaccurate. The gold seal on LM is the designation of "Lakemaster Surveyed". Most are the same maps that Navionics uses. I have only used a couple Lakemaster surveys, but they are very good. Especially if you adjust the water level. No map is 100% as they can't survey every inch of a big lake. It would take years and cost a fortune. Bob
Old 07-24-2021, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

There can't be any argument that even with the contour inaccuracies, both Lakemaster and Navionics make fishing much easier than it once was. Fishing before map chips and GPS became available was the good old days...................right?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
There can't be any argument that even with the contour inaccuracies, both Lakemaster and Navionics make fishing much easier than it once was. Fishing before map chips and GPS became available was the good old days...................right?
Agreed. I cannot speak for Lakemaster however I have the Navionic's Hotmaps Platinum North which includes LOTW and Lac Seul. These maps are not depth accurate however they are extremely accurate as far as water/land boundaries and it does a good job of marking most hazards, not 100% accurate however if there is a red mark it's best to heed the warning. As well it has the houseboat routes which are quite safe for longer distance travel.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

I have 3 Navionics "Premium" chips, don't have any experience with Lakemaster, but am happy with the chips I have, I just wish I had the "micro " chips. If and when my Humminbirds have to be replaced, will have to replace all the chips for them.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:52 AM
Slot Fish

On LOTW its not even a question, the lake master is now fully surveyed and very accurate. Nav is fine for safe route travel and thats about it, I have first hand experience with both. LM surveyed the missing parts starting two years ago. Watched them myself. As for Lac Seul, Nav is definitely not accurate and can't comment on the LM for Seul.