Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 1880 Angler - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcodner View Post

So the only dislikes I have with my boat are:
- It only has a 150 on it. Wish it had a 175 (max hp for a 2015). The 150 is fine but it is
slow to get up on plane sometimes.
- I am still trying to figure out storage. There isn't a lot of storage in the boat and I don't
want to convert my bait well into storage as I use that for bait.
- Tandem trailer. Wish it had one as the single axle makes me nervous on long trips
I love the 1880, best boat I've had, it's my 6th boat. he nailed the dislikes.

-I have the 200hp and it's great, not a speed demon but 50mph all day with good low end performance
-storage, i putmy cranking battery in front of motor under the splash well and have storage under both jump seats
- i agree on single axle, had a blow out on my 1860 and but now I replace my tire every 3-4 years for good measure, I do like single axle to maneuver in garage by hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 09:24 PM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkoskin View Post
With the specs you wanted how much more was the GL?
Almost $7k
Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher_i_am View Post
I love the 1880, best boat I've had, it's my 6th boat. he nailed the dislikes.

-I have the 200hp and it's great, not a speed demon but 50mph all day with good low end performance
-storage, i putmy cranking battery in front of motor under the splash well and have storage under both jump seats
- i agree on single axle, had a blow out on my 1860 and but now I replace my tire every 3-4 years for good measure, I do like single axle to maneuver in garage by hand.
Thank you.

Do you like it more than your 1860? I did tell my wife I think we should go with the 200 and the 36v BM. I'm on the fence about the tandem axle. I won't be moving that sucker around by hand either way. We have a bit of a goofy driveway to deal with.

I'm actually a tiny bit concerned about the trailer being too low for coming out of the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

What are you guys using for locators? How do you like them?

I priced them with a Lowrance Elite 7Ti2 in the bow and a Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2 at the wheel. Pretty much because that's what the first boat I looked at had in it and I wanted to compare apples to apples.

I'm not partial to anything. I've had 3 I think with Lowrance and 2 with Humminbird. I've had no issues with either of them.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Thank you.

Do you like it more than your 1860? I did tell my wife I think we should go with the 200 and the 36v BM. I'm on the fence about the tandem axle. I won't be moving that sucker around by hand either way. We have a bit of a goofy driveway to deal with.

I'm actually a tiny bit concerned about the trailer being too low for coming out of the driveway.
i like the 1880 better.....

- obviously newer and some added features
- 1880 has 200HP
- my 1860 was 2010, 1880 is a 2017; hull is completely different and handles big water a lot better
- ski pole
- mixed thoughts on jump seats, like the option but it's more cumbersome getting in the compartments
- 1880 has bigger cockpit area that I like for trolling, 1860 front deck is very big, nice if you're cast a lot.

only thing on the 1860 was rod locker is a bit bigger, i think 12 rods vs 10. Minor difference though
Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher_i_am View Post
i like the 1880 better.....

- obviously newer and some added features
- 1880 has 200HP
- my 1860 was 2010, 1880 is a 2017; hull is completely different and handles big water a lot better
- ski pole
- mixed thoughts on jump seats, like the option but it's more cumbersome getting in the compartments
- 1880 has bigger cockpit area that I like for trolling, 1860 front deck is very big, nice if you're cast a lot.

only thing on the 1860 was rod locker is a bit bigger, i think 12 rods vs 10. Minor difference though
Jump seats are a must for us! We have a pile of kiddos so they'll be used. You're right 10 Vs. 12 rods is minor. We'll be able to pick and choose which rods we'll need for any given trip. We're not tourney fisherman by any stretch. Maybe some fun ones but nothing where we're grabbing 25 rods or anything.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post

What makes you nervous on the long trips with a single axle?
To be honest I don't think Ranger should have sold the boat without a tandem trailer. The new 1880's (2290lb) are actually heavier then the 619's (2275lb) and you can't get a 619 in a single axle trailer as far as I know. The trailer does bounce quite a bit and I feel that a tandem would carry the load better. Also if you have a blowout where it destroys the hub you can still get home on three wheels.
With that being said I still bought the boat used and it has a single axle trailer under it. I just make sure to check things over really well and try to miss as many pot holes as I can which can be tough here in MN in the spring and early summer.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:08 AM
Keeper

I’ve owned an 1880 with 200v8 for 2 years. Awesome boat, lots of power to get on plane and go even with 6 people in it. Goes 55mph. My only complaint is not as much storage for tackle etc. as past boats I’ve owned. One if which was an 1875 impact. The ranger is twice the boat the Lund is-quality control head and shoulders better on the ranger. Lund had paint issues, glove box door designed by an idiot, ranger way way better in any rough water. Buy the ranger
Old 07-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
I’ve owned an 1880 with 200v8 for 2 years. Awesome boat, lots of power to get on plane and go even with 6 people in it. Goes 55mph. My only complaint is not as much storage for tackle etc. as past boats I’ve owned. One if which was an 1875 impact. The ranger is twice the boat the Lund is-quality control head and shoulders better on the ranger. Lund had paint issues, glove box door designed by an idiot, ranger way way better in any rough water. Buy the ranger
BAM

Lol, lund is highly over rated and over priced.

Lots of complaints on the ranger front also.
1880 with a 200 v8 is a perfect combo though.
BT terrova link
Old 07-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoodswalleye View Post
Thank you for that info. Good comparison. My wife couldn’t care less what we get as long as it will meet the requirement of towing the kids. She also thought the Angler was finished nicer. I like both boats and probably got hung up on storage. When we looked again it was pretty glaring on the fit and finish.