Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Issue with Vault bearing cap sizes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-25-2021, 08:04 AM
Minnow

Default Issue with Vault bearing cap sizes

I just took a vault cap off to repack a hub with the Hybrid grease. I know UFP says to use a loctite retaining compound when installing the new cap. The old cap came off very easy and there was no sign of any old sealant on the cap. I had a hard time installing this new 1.980 cap because of how tight it fit. I put some sealant on it but as tight as it went on I can’t imagine it coming off. I read a review and someone said they got some new vault 1.980 caps that actually measured 1.985. I do not have any calipers to measure the new ones but I will pick one up. Has anyone experienced this and would there be an issue forcing a 1.985 when it calls for 1.980? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Erie,
Just get a bigger hammer.

Any time I have such an issue, I have a metal plate that I place over the bearing cap. Then, I have a 5 lb sledge hammer and give the cap a good jar. Quick and easy - it goes right in. A .005 over is about right for a well fitting long lasting bearing cap.

Best wishes
Old 05-15-2021, 08:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie660 View Post
I just took a vault cap off to repack a hub with the Hybrid grease. I know UFP says to use a loctite retaining compound when installing the new cap. The old cap came off very easy and there was no sign of any old sealant on the cap. I had a hard time installing this new 1.980 cap because of how tight it fit. I put some sealant on it but as tight as it went on I can’t imagine it coming off. I read a review and someone said they got some new vault 1.980 caps that actually measured 1.985. I do not have any calipers to measure the new ones but I will pick one up. Has anyone experienced this and would there be an issue forcing a 1.985 when it calls for 1.980? Thanks
The proper tool makes the project go smoother.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/290-991.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

bubba,
Absolutely correct on the use of a dust cover driver.

But, if you know the needed diameter and pick up a pipe nipple of the same diameter, you can purchase a nipple for under $10 to do the same job.

But, no doubt - the dedicated tool is clearly the best way to do the job.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by erie660 View Post
I noticed this as well with a new one. Actually I like it that it's a bit tighter. The vault cap is malleable so after removing them and pounding them on a few times they don't seem to get as snug.