Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 621 pro with 400 Verado props - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-11-2021, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default 2021 621 pro with 400 Verado props

Looking for opinions for a friend. Like the title says 621 pro with 400 verado. Full of gear, 2 guys, and full of gas, with altas jackplate. 6400 rpm 55.7mph 22 bravo 1. What kind of speed are guys seeing with this rig?
NPAA #409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2021, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

What elevation are you at?

Not sure the elevation is going to matter because the engine is pulling decent rpm but that's a ton of prop slip! You could try a 20 or 21 Bravo and and gain a little rpm but I'm not sure that's going to get you much more for speed. The other option is to try a Rev 4 but you'll need to be at a 19P. It might solve the prop slip problem since they are a very low slip prop. I know of another 622/400 combo that won't run so it almost makes me think ranger has to much hook or something in some of these hulls.

Although a different boat, I ran a Croxton worked 22P Bravo last season on my 219TFX Yarcraft and could pull 64.5-66.5 mph right at the top recommended rpm for my 350 (6,400 rpm) depending on load and atmospheric conditions. I had them bump it to a 22.5 for this season since I could run over the reccomended 6400 rpms under the right conditions, hopefully will get a shakedown this weekend.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

1400-1600 ft
NPAA #409
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2021, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

I guess I should have said we're trying to figure out if the prop is damaged (came off his last boat), motor issue, or a set up issue. Guys are running 21 bravo 1 FS and getting like 63-64mph with the same load. That's 8mph more than he's currently getting.

I do know for a fact that he needs a more lift the nose isn't getting out of the water.
NPAA #409
Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

I'll ask the obvious things first since no one has chimed in; Does he have a Jackplate?is there any worry of the engine being mounted too low? Does he or you know the in's and out's of getting the trim and jackplate adjustments made to get the most out of the boat. Please don't take this personal, I've seen people with big sparkly boats that have the motor trimed down and plowing water everywhere they go on glass smoother water. Mine will scrub almost 15 mph from my top speed with just the motor trimmed all the way down....

Assuming the above are note the issues; go to the dealer he bought it from and talk to the dealer about the performance or lack thereof. Borrow another 22P bravo from the dealer, run it and see if there is any difference. If not, there's something else be it the way the boat is loaded, something off on the running surface of the hull, or the 400 is under-performing for some reason.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 AM
Minnow

I have a 2020 with a 400 Verado with the same prop and no jack plate. Full tank of gas and 500lbs of people and full of fishing gear going 61.9.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

With the amount of slip he is getting with that prop given the speed stated, he might actually want to drop the engine height 1/2"-3/4". That is too much slip given the prop and speed stated. You may find that you need to drop down to a 21" Bravo once you have the correct engine height. It does nothing good to raise engine height to try and solve a too low of rpm because of too much prop. You may find that after dropping the engine, you will pick up slightly more lift, but in all honestly it's a 22' walleye boat, not a bass boat. Just for an example, my 22' Skeeter walleye boat, that is 400#s or more than the Ranger, and powered by a 300 hp, turns a 20.5" Bravo LT at 5800 rpm at 58 mph. That's more weight, 600 less rpm, less hp, and same speed. Unless that prop has been previously reworked poorly, you are probably going to end up with a Bravo FS with a pitch somewhere between 20"-21" after setting the correct engine height. Note my rpm and speed may not be a true correlation as I'm sure the gear case raitos are different.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:03 AM
Wallhanger

Dropped down to a 21 bravo and hitting 59 now. I think that's about as good as it's gonna get. I'll have him try lowering a half to 3/4 inch on the jack plate.

Thanks for the ideas
NPAA #409
Old 06-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumalunker View Post
Dropped down to a 21 bravo and hitting 59 now. I think that's about as good as it's gonna get. I'll have him try lowering a half to 3/4 inch on the jack plate.

Thanks for the ideas
No offense, but that wouldn't be acceptable for me. Curious what you mean by having lower 3/4" on the jack plate. I assume he has a hydraulic plate? Likely either a bobs or a atlas, maybe a TH marine? in any regard. I would expect he would need to be up +3" to +4" maybe even +5" on the jackplate to get the best speed.

To me it's unacceptable when a 2015 621FS with 300 Verado typically runs 56-59 mph, and once Ranger bumped the 621 to the 350 rating, most will run low 60s (61-63mph). I have several friends and acquaintances with these boats and that's where they run. With a 400hp Verado, that should be a 65 mph boat all day long. It's 5-7mph off of where it should be. Something isn't right. Maybe it's just me but that's $100k+ boat and if it were mine, I would expect it to perform correctly. You have a dealer and warranty for a reason, I'd suggest using them unless this is an operator error thing and even if that's the case, have your dealer go for a ride and show your buddy how to run the boat. just my 2 cents.

Last edited by SLE; 06-02-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Was no point in moving engine up before with the rpms and speed indicated. He already had a massive amount of slip, and raising would only have made it worse. With the new prop working better, who knows, maybe the first prop was just bad. Could possibly try up or down 1/2" to 1" now. We haven't been given a whole lot of information.