Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing season - jumping the gun? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default Fishing season - jumping the gun?

So It's Friday May 15 - noon. I just got home from my neighbor's house - we were working on a rewind project in his garage. I looked out at the lake and there's three nice boats working the area right in front of his house.

Nice boats - probably 115hp range - three guys in each boat. They weren't fishing crappie. They were pitching jigs and minnows.

So I came home and got the TIP number and gave them a call. The woman asked me if they're catching anything?! I told her I can't tell. So she asked if I saw them boat any fish?! Then I asked her - what difference does that make?

She sounded totally disinterested. But hopefully she'll call the warden. I think the guys are probably pre-fishing. They aren't really hurting anything. I think it's still illegal to be fishing today. Am I correct?
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by law57 View Post
So It's Friday May 15 - noon. I just got home from my neighbor's house - we were working on a rewind project in his garage. I looked out at the lake and there's three nice boats working the area right in front of his house.

Nice boats - probably 115hp range - three guys in each boat. They weren't fishing crappie. They were pitching jigs and minnows.

So I came home and got the TIP number and gave them a call. The woman asked me if they're catching anything?! I told her I can't tell. So she asked if I saw them boat any fish?! Then I asked her - what difference does that make?

She sounded totally disinterested. But hopefully she'll call the warden. I think the guys are probably pre-fishing. They aren't really hurting anything. I think it's still illegal to be fishing today. Am I correct?
Today's the 14th ?
Old 05-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Yes I believe it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2021, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

Catch&Release.....perfectly legal
Old 05-14-2021, 01:07 PM
Wallhanger

I don't think you can intentionally target a species for which the season is closed in MN, even catch and release.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

regulations are very clear on the topic of targeting fish during a close season.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Wallhanger

So how do you prove you are targeting them as you could be jigging for Pike, Perch or other in season species?
Old 05-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
So how do you prove you are targeting them as you could be jigging for Pike, Perch or other in season species?
Northern not open yet either in Minnesota until tomorrow ? I'd say they were fishing for perch !
Old 05-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Minnow

Default targeting

I have caught many panfish with a jig and a minnow. Not to mention catching small, medium, large panfish on dardevil, plugs, spinnerbait, etc. Pretty hard to prove what someone is targeting when it comes down to it. If they are indeed targeting a species that is not open, I certainly do not condone it, however nothing you can do to prove it.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Keeper

You are lucky you got through on the tip line. Twice I tried no one answered