Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What has changed on Leech Lake in the past 30 yrs? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Minnow

Default Jeff P

The big lake has not really changed all that much in the past 30 years.it has lost a few of the mom and pop resorts and there is only one resort left up in Sucker bay.the Shorelines have really not been developed all the much because the price of lakeshore property is so high the average person can't afford it.There is still a lot of federal land that can't be developed.Fishing good on the lake.Although for me the walleye fishing was a little tougher this spring.Maybe it was just the timing of when i was up there.I remembered Bob and Mille well from Brindleys Resort.And the great fishing guide Roger that worked out of that resort.He would know that lake like the back of his hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Keeper

Good comments about the lake fishing. I was afraid that hundreds of new homes had lined the shore. I remember the crappie fishing when I would come up and put in the docks and open everything else up. I hate to hear about the Rusty Crawfish. All sounds good I will have to plan a trip...

Thanks To All, Larry
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Biggest change- now it's netted because they can, not because they need to.

Jeff's sons do a very good job at Reed's. As for Jeff driving them crazy, nothings changed there either, he's been doing that since birth. Jeff was, and still is, the number 1, best ever, floor salesperson that ever lived.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Walker View Post
Leech is still a wonderful lake, gorgeous, still great amounts of undeveloped shoreline, and will stay that way, lots of federal land and native land , most of the resorts from days gone bye are now gone. After some poor walleye years it has rebounded, thanks to a lot of help. This year has been tougher for "keeper" eyes but lots of bigger fish, I'll never complain about releasing too big fish. Walker is an amazing town, they do a good job of promoting it, lots of events, and Reeds is still number 1 in my book. I retired up here in "99" been coming to the area since the 50"s with my family.
When compared to the developement on mille lacs this lake is wilderness! I think native lands and a lot of state and federal lands in this area have saved leech lake from rampant shoreline development. The eastern and northern parts are the least developed, and I think they will stay that way. With it being a large body of water, walleye fishing may be horrible in one area while fantastic in others. You have to find the places few people go, and where there are big schools of walleye. Locating them, especially on lakes like this, I've always found to be the hardest part. I think those few years damaged a lot of the younger keeper walleye, while the more hardy large females and males survived. Give it a few years and the keepers will be back in storm.