Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Use ski pylon receptacle for lean style seat? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-17-2021, 05:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default Use ski pylon receptacle for lean style seat?

I've been posting like crazy lately as I've got a serious case of new boat fever! You guys have been great at providing details and thoughts.

I'm struggling because I am looking for a utopian boat that is 95% fish oriented and 5% family recreation oriented. I have knocked a lot of models off of my list because they either have no rear platform seat receptacle, or they have 1 or 2 receptacles that are greatly off center. I would prefer a center seat for leaning against and being able to cast in both directions, walk the dog without hitting the side of the boat, etc. Among these, many have a center ski pylon receptacle. It struck me this morning that there has to be a way I could leverage the ski pylon receptacle for a seat. If I could, this would put a number of boats back on the "maybe" list.

I'm no engineer and am only moderately handy, but I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult. What are the chances that any seat posts would fit the hole (eg other brand, off the shelf, etc)? I assume few to none, so what about making one? If I struggled to find the correct aluminum tube size for the pylon receptacle I could just purchase a spare ski pylon. From there I could neck tubing up or down to match the seat tube size (inside or outside the seat tube). I have a hobby farm and have built extensions for tractor implements. I have found that tubing generally comes in standard sizes and they fit into each other nicely. I've never worked with aluminum but I assume for manufacturing purposes it would likely be the same situation. And I could maybe find a aluminum welder to weld it if I didn't want to deal with bolts. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2021, 05:18 AM
Wallhanger

I should have searched before posting. Similar post noted below, although additional thoughts welcome!

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...ght=pylon+seat
Old 02-17-2021, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I would imagine that a ski pylon uses thicker wall tubing than a normal seat pedestal, but once you get a spare pylon, and cut it to length, you should be able to fabricate an insert to allow the use of a 3/4" pin seat base commonly used an "leaning" seat mounts.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	512vh5P-ReL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	324156  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2021, 05:48 AM
Keeper

My Ranger 1850 Reata has both a Ski Pylon Hole and Seat Base hole in back. I also ordered 2 addition Seat Base Holes on the back deck so that you can position your seat in the center or to either side depending on how you are fishing.