Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Your favorite outpost darn near burned to a crisp. Do you return? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-01-2021, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Your favorite outpost darn near burned to a crisp. Do you return?

My family has a favorite outpost in NW Ontario, featuring a cabin on a tiny island. We just received word that the cabin and island didn't take damage, but the area around the lake "doesn't have much left to burn".

Much of the joy of the trip isn't merely the fishing, but the enjoyment of the beauty of the north woods. The thick moss all the way up to the pine trees. The sounds and smells of the forest. My kids loved exploring the water line, having shore lunches, and I loved it as it was a great change from living in the desert.

Sounds like much of that is gone.
Not sure how much the fishing will be impacted, as I have to think that rain runoff is going to put a bunch of ash in the water and the chemistry may be changed.

Trying to also figure out if a visit there is just going to be heartbreak. But I also hate to say goodbye. Darn near feels like I lost a close friend. It will be 30 years before it "looks like it used to".

What do you think? Time to find someplace new to make memories? I've got a deposit in place that I might be able to change to a new camp. I guess I have almost a year to decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 07:34 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

It would be a lesson for the kids that things change and the world works in mysterious ways. From the outfitters point of view i'm sure he would love to see you after what they have been through.

Only you can decide whats important.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I have been in areas following a major burn. Yes, twelve months later there is regeneration already taking place. It is actually quite interesting to see how, as the environment transitions, so do the animals using the changing environment.

One will usually have an increase in actual sightings of many animals simply because of the sparse and changing cover.

Like has been said, only you can decide, if you and your kids would like to see and experience the transition as it happens or prefer the same-ole same-ole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

I’d go back. You’ve seen it at its best, you have a chance to see it at its worst and if you go back you see it recover
Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely go! Photo areas then each year go back to the same spot and retake another photo. It is interesting to see how fast nature rebounds after a fire. The one thing I noticed after a fire on Birch Lake, ON was the mix of tree species changed.

After a year there we so many new saplings the whole area was green already. Two years later most people would never realize there had been a recent fire. With the competition for light, the trees grew tall quickly.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 08-01-2021, 09:06 AM
Wallhanger

Good comments.

My "kids" are now in their older 20's, and they have seen quite a bit of this already. We live in the US SW, and we have spent a lot of time in the Southern Rocky Mountains. Bark beetle damage, coupled with drought has brought many devastating fires to the area. The first trees back are the aspens due to their shared root structure. We camp several times a year near Creede CO, and have been camping in burn areas for years now. Even after 10 years now, with aspens about 10-12' tall, we still prefer getting out into the tall pines.

We only get up to the north woods once every 3-4 years, and it is always a pleasure to be surrounded by that much green. I know that it will eventually come back. I need to weigh whether or not I want to be in the middle of it next year.
Next year is a big year I suspect. My youngest is getting married this September, and I am trying to sneak in one last dad / daughter trip before grandkids come into the picture. Don't get me wrong... I am looking forward to that one day too. It would just be nice to have one more Ontario adventure with her 1:1. We need to determine if we go to the place we know, or try something new. Both have pros and cons. More than for me, I want her to have a great trip.

I've posted this one before, but it is one of my favorite pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170613_204549.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	328356  
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Keeper

I have fished lakes after a forest fire. It was much less of a "Canadian experience" if that makes sense.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

It is your vacation. If you want the pristine Canadian experience then switch resorts. If you want a lesson in the effects of forest fires then go back. If you don't care one way or the other then there isn't much of a choice to make.

Personally, I'd give the area a year of two to regenerate, then go back.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

I won’t give it anytime to regenerate if I pound big fish in the lake,I’d go right back pronto.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
I have fished lakes after a forest fire. It was much less of a "Canadian experience" if that makes sense.
How soon after the fire? How was the fishing?