Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lewis and clark help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Slot Fish

Default Lewis and clark help

I am taking the family up to lewis and clark for a couple days starting the 18th. It has been about 6 years since I have fished there and looking for any insight as to where to fish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

Not much help for you over all, but will give you thoughts and some information.

Currently flows are moving through the Dam at 70,000 cfs. If you are thinking of doing any fishing below the dam, it becomes difficult. There are some places to try like near the handicap pier ......... fishing spots are very limited at this time.

Up above, I would focus on fishing the South Dakota side from the Dam face to the end of the Park area several miles west. You might set up a day to fish with one of the "Walleye Guys" that specializes in guiding on that lake. There are some fish to be had there, but it can be challenging. Troll flicker shads or lure of choice in the area mentioned earlier. The river channel is near by and I would work that zone. Bottom bouncer and a worm on the drop off.

Once you get to about July 10 (my personal date)on Midwestern reservoirs the fishing gets real challenging. Tons of 1 inch plus sized bait fish to be had by the current predators in the system.

You could get some leeches and try some sharp shooting for the eyes. Off the South Dakota side there is an Island in the middle of the river channel and I have taken some eyes there with that technique.

Also, be careful going way west on the lake. Stuff has changed somewhat. Good luck and I would appreciate any feed back from your experience. Joe
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the direction, I plan on fishing the main lake so we will see, with all changing weather and rain who knows what the lake will be like. Thanks again