Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
F115 Ignition and Controls - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Keeper

Default F115 Ignition and Controls

I had the boat out this weekend and ended up making my way in to the dock with the trolling motor because I couldn't get my motor to restart. I was taken by surprise because I've never had any issues with my engine starting, in fact it's been very reliable up until now. It started normal at the dock, restarted normally a couple of times on the lake and then became suddenly problematic.

The motor is a 2003 Yamaha F115 and the boat is a Lund Fisherman.

The symptoms are:

1.) I get a buzzer in the on position and some random tach movement but turning the ignition key to the start position does nothing. There is no click from the starter solenoid or anything.

2.) My trim controls on the throttle handle don't work, but the trim controls on the engine do work.

3.) The battery has good voltage.

Does anybody have any theories?

Would a mechanical failure of the ignition switch have any affect on the the trim controls?

Would a failure of the neutral safety switch or lanyard switch be able to explain any of this?

I'm not sure where to start with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Start simple and work your way up. Make darn sure it's not the dead man switch that is set to off, the pull the hood and check fuses, then battery connections.

Normally in a situation like this where it was running fine, then just won't start it's something simple.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Keeper

I'll work my way through the system when I get a chance. I just find it very odd that I lost both the trim controls on the handle and the ignition at the same time. I didn't think they were related.

Upon inspecting the controls (Yamaha 6X0) and speaking with a friend at work it dawned on us that the ignition wire has to pass through for the neutral safety switch, thus it's possible that if something happened to the entire harness connector it would affect both the trim and ignition. So, at least I have a theory to check before I have to start tracing signals.

I was just curious if this was a common problem. It doesn't look like that's the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I think that's a good guess.

Yes the trim is entirely separate from anything else on those motors, so sounds like the right track with main connector harness being loose.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Keeper

I looked at it a little bit last night:

1.) Disassembled throttle housing and inspected neutral safety switch, tested for continuity ... no issues.

2.) Inspected interface of controls with dash wiring. Lund doesn't use the plug, but nothing was obviously disconnected ... nothing visually wrong.

3.) Checked the ignition switch positive for voltage ... didn't have voltage = problem

4.) Traced the positive leads from the ignition terminal (there are two).

-One terminated at an unconnected female plug within the dash ... this seams a little odd, but there was no male end anywhere to be found.

-The other connects through a multi-pin connector at the dash and goes back to the motor where there is a second multi-pin connector beneath the cowling (I believe this to be the primary umbilical that carries signals for the motor). Both connections were snug but I blew them out with compressed air and cleaned them for good measure.

I didn't have time to check the pins going back to the motor for voltage but will do that next.

Does anybody know if it's typical for the ignition switch to receive voltage from the motor?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Keeper

Alright, so it's time for a public service announcement.

I think I figured out the problem last night and it might be something you want to check yourself if you have a Yamaha outboard. Upon inspecting the plug located beneath the cowling for voltage it became apparent to me that I should have looked at it a little more closely the day prior. What I thought was electrical grease was actually sludge caused by water contamination in the base of the plug. Since the plug is oriented vertically any ingress simply collects in the female end of the plug and causes the sleeves to rust.

My misfortune occurred when the sleeve, which protrudes from the plug, broke free causing an instantaneous loss of power to the starter circuit.

I've attached a couple of pictures showing the location of the plug, it's the primary 10 pin connector at the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5030.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	312316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	312318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	484.1 KB
ID:	312320  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Lake, I'll take a look at mine. I wonder how the water got into the cowl.

Bill
Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM
Keeper

I don't know. If you do a web search on 10-pin corrosion you'll get a few hits.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...ctor-corrosion

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...no-starts.html

If I were to speculate the top of the connector is just covered with a rubber boot and there is a plug in one of the pin sockets. In effect, it's not watertight. I suppose spray wash down or condensation could trace it's way down the cable given enough time. The motor is now 16 years old. I'm not the original owner of the boat, but it's never been swamped to my knowledge if that's where your thoughts are headed. It did spend a few years at a lake cabin under a cover.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedog View Post
I don't know. If you do a web search on 10-pin corrosion you'll get a few hits.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...ctor-corrosion

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...no-starts.html

If I were to speculate the top of the connector is just covered with a rubber boot and there is a plug in one of the pin sockets. In effect, it's not watertight. I suppose spray wash down or condensation could trace it's way down the cable given enough time. The motor is now 16 years old. I'm not the original owner of the boat, but it's never been swamped to my knowledge if that's where your thoughts are headed. It did spend a few years at a lake cabin under a cover.

I have the exact same motor, same year make. I will check mine as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't thinking motor submersion, maybe a cooling water hose broke loose, or motor perhaps run with cowl off while being adjusted?, or etc. Thanks again for the information, I have a bought new 2000 F115, runs great.

Bill