Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
PLEASE turn off your HeadLights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 AM
Wallhanger

Default PLEASE turn off your HeadLights

I normally launch my boat just before daylight so once I start backing down the long steep launch I turn OFF my headlights and just leave my parking lights on. However, MOST others either forget to do this or don't realize that their headlights are blinding others backing down. The launch I have been using all year this year has 8 launches and having all those headlights in your outside mirrors makes it somewhat dangerous to back down the launch. Seems as you get older those bright headlights effect our worn out eyes more then when I was younger.

When I politely remind others they look at you like your from Mars. Help out the elderly and flip those headlights to parking lights.

over
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

Years ago a guy with the same truck as me saw that my lights were off and asked me to show him how to turn his lights off lol!!

I'm with you on the brightness thing, as I age. Frustrating as all get out for me...
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Years ago a guy with the same truck as me saw that my lights were off and asked me to show him how to turn his lights off lol!!

I'm with you on the brightness thing, as I age. Frustrating as all get out for me...
That is not as uncommon as it may seem. Most folks are so accustomed to "auto this" and "auto that" on everything they use. My wife closes the rear hatch with a button, I close the same hatch manually with my hand. She didn't realize it could be closed by hand and I didn't know her vehicle had a button for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Actually, in today's world it is not at all unusual that folks do not know how to turn off their headlights.

But, of course, one could always read their owners manual and learn the lesson of "lights off".

Especially with younger drivers and the advent of the no key in the ignition, many folks know how to hit the start/stop button to start and stop their car and with the advent of the push button on the dash transmission that is appearing, they will know how to hit the start/stop button and hit the park, reverse and drive button on the dash for operating the vehicle.

They will have no experience in doing anything else.

Be safe

Last edited by REW; 08-14-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Actually, in today's world it is not at all unusual that folks do not know how to turn off their headlights.

But, of course, one could always read their owners manual and learn the lesson of "lights off".

Especially with younger drivers and the advent of the no key in the ignition, many folks know how to hit the start/stop button to start and stop their car and with the advent of the push button on the dash transmission that is appearing, they will know how to hit the start/stop button and hit the park, reverse and drive button on the dash for operating the vehicle.

They will have no experience in doing anything else.

Be safe
I have a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda with carbureted engine, 4-speed manual transmission, no power anything- steering, brakes, windows or locks, no remote fob, AM-only radio. I suspect most young people wouldn't be able to start that car, let alone drive it.

I sure do enjoy it!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

I am also old. Had cataract surgery because the lights were blinding. I also have a different view on lights on auto. The people who have them in a manual mode don't turn them on when they are needed. Dusk,dawn,raining. Bob
Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Security against car theft
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Minnow

It's common courtesy but some folks just don't get it.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Ti2's
Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I have a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda with carbureted engine, 4-speed manual transmission, no power anything- steering, brakes, windows or locks, no remote fob, AM-only radio. I suspect most young people wouldn't be able to start that car, let alone drive it.

I sure do enjoy it!
SWEET Car.........I always wanted one.......settled for a '68 Roadrunner. Beep Beep

What engine ? ? ? 383 cu I'm guessing ? ? ?

When I went to work on the Railroad and could afford a new Barracuda Plymouth stop building them. . . . Grrrrrrrrrrr
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Keeper

I agree about turning the lights out at the launch, I have been on both sides, reminding others and needing to be reminded myself. I don't often launch at our mega ramps with multiple lanes so periodically I forget as I expect some others do. As far as the auto this, auto that, push buttons, park assist, etc., I will take it if it makes life easier. I love my old truck but sometimes the creature comforts afforded by new technology wouldn't be a bad thing to have!