Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ultimate Bunk Boards rock! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Ultimate Bunk Boards rock!

I received my new Ultimate Bunk Boards yesterday. They came double wrapped in corrugated cardboard.

I was itching to get them on so I got up early today, threw my cordless drill and some sockets in the truck and dumped the boat in the river. In less than an hour the old wood and carpet bunks were off and the new ones were on.

I have been wanting to do this for a couple of years and am happy I finally did.

Next month when we are camping/fishing I may take a router and just round the back-top edge of each board.

Absolutely worth the price!

Thanks Joe Bova!

p.s. Yes they have 10 foot (2x6) boards. Expect to pay a premium for shipping.

"Every time I put my line in the water I said a Hail Mary, and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish": Fredo Corleone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Question

Could you tell me more?
Do you still need carpet? And what are the boards made of?
Thanks, Kliph
Old 04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliph View Post
Could you tell me more?
Do you still need carpet? And what are the boards made of?
Thanks, Kliph
Kliph, check them out here - http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

I'm about to order a set to put on my ShoreLand'r under the Lund Rebel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

This interests me ....What kind (make) of trailer, what boat?

Since they are not custom,How are they mounted to your trailer?
Did you have to drill holes in them to transfer mounting brackets to the new bunk ?

Last edited by MarkG; 04-30-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Keeper

Yes....just measure from one end of your current bunk to the existing brackets. Pre drill undersized holes, and screw them on. I like the idea of routering the leading edges.
I think mine are 9' long on a shorelander trailer under a 17' Lund. Never have to worry about carpet/wood again.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

My boat is a 2000 Lund 1650 Angler SS (Yamaha F80) - Trailmaster trailer.

There were 4 wooden bunks covered with carpet on my trailer. 2 - 2x6x10 feet long and 2 - 2x4x6 feet long. I left the side guide boards (wood & carpet) alone.

There were counter-sunk carriage bolts and nuts securing the old wooden bunks. I used 2" long stainless lag bolts to secure the Untimate Bunk Boards.

I didn't touch the brackets that were attached to the trailer. I unbolted the old ones, clamped on the utlimate ones, drilles some pilot holes and bolted it down.

The important measurement was where the rear edge of the bunk boards are located. That was easy by just taking a measurement from the old boards. The new boards sit under and flush with the back of my transom.

Awesome product!

"Every time I put my line in the water I said a Hail Mary, and every time I said a Hail Mary I caught a fish": Fredo Corleone

Last edited by Crappie Kid; 05-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for that. Mine is a Trailmaster also.
I get it now,..and by leaving the brackets on, you also retain the original angle of the bunk. No adjustments needed. I also like your idea of a beveled rear edge.
No issues with original bunks yet,but if I end up needing to replace ,looks like the way to go.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Keeper

I tought I read somewhere those boards were not suiteable for painted aluminum V hulls, or have I mistaken them for another make ?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

WARNING -
When you use this style bunk boards, you may want to load and unload your trailer in a slightly different fashion.

With no carpet on your buncks, you have no protection for any dirt or sand that may get on your bunks as you trail over dusty and or dirty roads to a boat launch.

As a result, you want to make a point to WASH the bunk boards before unloading and launching.

This is a very simple procedure.
When launching, simply back your boat far enough into the water so that 100% of all of the bunk board length gets completey immersed and rinsed off. i.e. any dust and or dirt that may have gotten onto the bunks during transit will get rinsed off during the immersion. Then, pull the boat to the appropriate depth when launching.

The same goes for boat retreival. i.e. back the trailer far enough into the water to completly immerse the full length of the bunk boards. Again, this will rinse off the boards if the trailer has been sitting in a storage area for a week or more while the boat has been in use at a boat slip or camp ground or resort. Again, the immersion will rinse off the boards and make sure that any dirt or grit will be off the boards before loading the boat to avoid scratching the hull.

With carpet on the bunks the carpet fibres tend to cushion the hull, as the dirt tends to stay deeper into the carpet.

Good luck
REW
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher-1 View Post
I tought I read somewhere those boards were not suiteable for painted aluminum V hulls, or have I mistaken them for another make ?
I had them on my 1850 Reata and I had to remove them because they were scratching the hull pretty bad.
They did make loading and unloading much easier and I would use again if I were confident they would not scratch the hull too bad.