Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Drotto Latch Theft Protection - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default Drotto Latch Theft Protection

I installed a Drotto Latch earlier this year. Have not had any issues with theft but also haven't had the trailer parked any where secluded when the boat is off the trailer. In this situation, it'd be very easy to just remove one bolt and walk away with the latch. I did install the lug nut lock recommended by the Drotto manufacture but in my opinion, it doesn't provide much security. I also drilled a hole through the mounting bolt and installed a padlock. Neither of these are great theft deterrents. I'm sure no matter what you do if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. However, I'd like to make it as difficult as possible. Anyone have any theft deterrent measures they've implemented they care to share? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
However, I'd like to make it as difficult as possible.

Weld? personally I'd think your padlock would be sufficient. I've had a Drotto on my trailer since 2009, it's still there for the taking. (no theft deterrent)

That said, I seen "repair items" ( fenders, taillights, tiedown strap assemblies) stolen from empty trailers. Hard to padlock everything.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

I put the same lock as you did on my Drotto. It'll keep an honest man honest. Beyond that, if a theif wants it, he'll probably get it. I try not to lose sleep over such things.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Keeper

I've had the same thoughts. I agree you can't thief-proof everything, so I am making sure that my old bow roller, bolt, and nut are in the boat just in case I come back to the Drotto missing..

I would hate to have it stolen, but I would really hate to be at the ramp with no way to secure the boat to get home.

Rich
Old 09-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

^^^^^^^^ This!

If you make it too hard to take the Drotto, maybe they take the entire winch stand?

HRG
Old 09-03-2020, 09:41 AM
Wallhanger

REG, I did the same thing you did, put the old parts in the boat.

HRG, that's a good point as my winch stand is bolted on also and having it stolen would be worse than the latch.

Thanks guys for the input.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Keeper

I've thought about exactly this, how safe is my Drotto? Especially with the big handle waving its arm in the air: "LOOK!"

That's a good idea, lock on the bolt. Another way is to get a longer bolt than needed then strip the end threads so the nut can't be turned. You'd have to saw it off yourself to remove the Drotto later, and have a new bolt ready to go ...

I think I'll start carrying the old parts in the truck.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
I put the same lock as you did on my Drotto. It'll keep an honest man honest. Beyond that, if a theif wants it, he'll probably get it. I try not to lose sleep over such things.

Mark
Is the lug nut lock something provided by Drotto, or is that just a general item available in the market like wheel lug nuts?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

I did a quick Google search and found that if you buy a new Drotto, they (Boat2trailer.com)will throw in the lock for free, internet purchases only over $279. Otherwise it's $14.99.

Mark
Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
^^^^^^^^ This!

If you make it too hard to take the Drotto, maybe they take the entire winch stand?

HRG
Red Loctite on the threads would slow them down. I've hammered or damaged threads above the nut to prevent anyone removing something that I don't want removed. Though a Sawzall would negate that.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."