Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Another Rod Holder Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-20-2020, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default Another Rod Holder Question

Any one use these and where do you mount them. I worry that vertical is just in the way at times but beats laying on the floor to get stepped on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod Holder.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	321512  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

I have vertical rodholders installed in my boat, 2 at each fishing position. They are very handy when heading to or from fishing locations. When still-fishing with vertical jigs or bobbers, the extra rod can be left in place. When casting, nearby rods are laid down. The system keeps rods from being stepped on or tangled, but there are some precautions to be aware of. Lures with multiple hooks should be removed or wrapped to prevent accidental hooking of skin or clothing. Bottom bouncer rigs can create havoc, damaging rods or tangling if not secured. I use velcro wraps to secure the bottom bouncer to the rod shaft.
I, also, keep my landing net in a centrally located rodholder. That keeps the net clear and ready to use, instead of covered or filled with errant items (examples I have encountered are sunglasses, jackets, gloves, partially filled beverage containers and a camera. The camera was ruined, but the 37" northern was netted.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Keeper

I think I’d mount that one at the bottom of the lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
I have vertical rodholders installed in my boat, 2 at each fishing position. They are very handy when heading to or from fishing locations. When still-fishing with vertical jigs or bobbers, the extra rod can be left in place. When casting, nearby rods are laid down. The system keeps rods from being stepped on or tangled, but there are some precautions to be aware of. Lures with multiple hooks should be removed or wrapped to prevent accidental hooking of skin or clothing. Bottom bouncer rigs can create havoc, damaging rods or tangling if not secured. I use velcro wraps to secure the bottom bouncer to the rod shaft.
I, also, keep my landing net in a centrally located rodholder. That keeps the net clear and ready to use, instead of covered or filled with errant items (examples I have encountered are sunglasses, jackets, gloves, partially filled beverage containers and a camera. The camera was ruined, but the 37" northern was netted.

Sometimes I fish multi species at this time of year I will look for walleye and Musky and having 7' + rods on the floor is damage waiting to happen and I was thinking about it from spot to spot but if I end up with the walleye gear in hand its right back to the floor.

Tilzbow - Why do you say that, have you used it or have a better option ? Curious about your remark.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-20-2020, 09:50 AM
Keeper

I’m just being a smartass because that holder doesn’t look very useful.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
I’m just being a smartass because that holder doesn’t look very useful.
Sorta though you were goofing around but never have ever felt the need for a vertical rod holder but now it seems people on my boat have damaged enough of my rods that I decided I need something so I don't know a good one from a bad one. Seems I have way to many rods to manage on the floor t times and one time I took off with a $$350.00 rod and reel on the gunwale and did not realize it until I realized it flew off when I took off.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-20-2020, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

I have the el cheapo version but I have three mounted across the back of my boat, really like them moving to and from locations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200524_125858.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	513.3 KB
ID:	321516  
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I have the el cheapo version but I have three mounted across the back of my boat, really like them moving to and from locations
very nice !
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 09-20-2020, 09:59 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Sorta though you were goofing around but never have ever felt the need for a vertical rod holder but now it seems people on my boat have damaged enough of my rods that I decided I need something so I don't know a good one from a bad one. Seems I have way to many rods to manage on the floor t times and one time I took off with a $$350.00 rod and reel on the gunwale and did not realize it until I realized it flew off when I took off.
I can see the value. I’m just a little cranky because there’s not a lake within 200 miles of me that’s fishable or open for me. All the CA reservoirs within a reasonable drive are closed due to the fires, the NV reservoirs aren’t fishable because they’re too low to launch and Pyramid Lake (the best trophy trout fishery on earth) has been closed since late March due to Covid. The only Lake I can fish is Lake Tahoe and I just can’t figure it out but it seems it’s time to try it again!

I’ve got 6 rockets launchers on my rear gunnel and I really like them. I can’t see how to mount the one you’re looking at.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
I can see the value. I’m just a little cranky because there’s not a lake within 200 miles of me that’s fishable or open for me. All the CA reservoirs within a reasonable drive are closed due to the fires, the NV reservoirs aren’t fishable because they’re too low to launch and Pyramid Lake (the best trophy trout fishery on earth) has been closed since late March due to Covid. The only Lake I can fish is Lake Tahoe and I just can’t figure it out but it seems it’s time to try it again!

I’ve got 6 rockets launchers on my rear gunnel and I really like them. I can’t see how to mount the one you’re looking at.
The one that I posted has 8 screw holes on two horizontal flanges behind it and small nylon spacers that go between it and the surface to be mounted on.

No lakes to fish sucks. I have some lakes I can fish but still trapped because I don't want to stay in the cabins around others. The news has me confused. I keep wanting to get out and don't so I know how you feel. As for Lake Tahoe just step up to the challenge to learn it. Fished a lake that everyone says hard and you have to do this and that I shut it all off and just broke it down to the basics and not a time out now I don't catch fish even when others are not. Took me six trips out to learn it, there is fun in that. Good luck with it.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes