Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's happened to deer hunting? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default What's happened to deer hunting?

Need to vent a little. I grew up whitetail hunting where you actualy did your homework in the woods through scouting, and placed stands accordingly. You may have been a still hunter, or a stand hunter, but your success depended solely on your hunting saavy.

Now, it's baiting and food plots, to me the same thing. Watch the majority of the hunting shows, hosted by so called experts. Big names like Shockey, Lakosky, etc. and what do they do? They sit over bait, and draw the deer into them.

To me it's not hunting, it's shooting. Sorry, just the way I see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowellsfishing View Post
Need to vent a little. I grew up whitetail hunting where you actualy did your homework in the woods through scouting, and placed stands accordingly. You may have been a still hunter, or a stand hunter, but your success depended solely on your hunting saavy.

Now, it's baiting and food plots, to me the same thing. Watch the majority of the hunting shows, hosted by so called experts. Big names like Shockey, Lakosky, etc. and what do they do? They sit over bait, and draw the deer into them.

I'd take that anyday!

Around here it's chasing them with a truck about 60mph across a picked corn field, shooting out the window.

Now i wont say it's norm, but its not far from it.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Not to mention all the technology and mismanagement of the herds have decimated the populations in many northern states areas. Nothing like it used to be.
Around here the government just wants them to survive, not prosper.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

You can do all the scouting you want, but when the scouting reveals that the deer aren't on your land because the neighbor's land has food plots, it's time to improve your land.

All those deer you saw while you were scouting were headed somewhere to eat...why not make that somewhere on your property?
Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

The biggest trend I see is that you no longer see folks do a deer drive. Deer drives scattered the herd and disbursed them all over the county.

Now days guys are growing their own deer herd and they never leave the couple mile area. this is great if you have the land to do so but not so great if you have a small slice of land.
NPAA #499
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhowellsfishing View Post

Easy. Companies that produce and sell deer deer food plot seeds and equipment pay for sponsorship of those TV programs, hence that is what the 'hunting-pro expert' is paid to highlight in the showgram. Also, the reason why you see 'buy this new hightech arrowhead' is because the Chinese steal and manufacture last years designs.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

The loss of CRP acres due to crop pricing, I don't think we will ever see deer populations again like we have had in the recent past.

For the most part I see opening weekend as a time when it's pointless to do much of anything other than be out there. That's started to become just opening day. By the second weekend, and through muzzlel loader season, there is lots of freedom to hunt them any way you'd like.

But yeah, learn to hunt in the field, not in front of the TV.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Wallhanger

Very few deer around but yet the state keeps selling huge amounts of tags. For the revenue i spose.

It's been a long time since the state actually cared about its resources.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:46 PM
old hand

Thumbs down huntin

my granny could drill a deer over a bait plot
i laugh at these shows there pathetic

They have the best equipment money can buy..and every toy known to man
and the best firearms just to drive up and sit in a ice shack and drill a deer
at 80 to 150 yds...ya thats exciting, forgot to mention they know the one you want because your trail cam sends pics to your phone

Heck if i hunted like that i could just use gramps ols open site 306 and a walmart knife
and a toyota corrolla and hit the shack with my coffee and wait

oh ya i forgot you have yo whisper after you shoot the animal
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Wallhanger

While I think stand hunting is boring as a 3 hr funeral, its a great way to introduce young hunters to gun safety. Where to point the gun, how to identify safe shooting lanes. remember to point the gun in a safe direction, identify your target, appreciate what God has made, don't shoot stuff just to make it die, enjoy the entire experience, scout for other animals while you are hunting these animals. The list is endless. Pros don't sit there and watch all the time. They play on their phones. Regular Joes too. I feel bad for people who say they do something but don't understand they aren't even close to doing it.

I have been to a 3 hr funeral. The dead guy was the lucky one.