Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electric Brake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 08-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

Default Electric Brake

Prepping for a 900 mile trip for my light boat (600 lb on single 3.5k axle trailer, 25 hp tiller). Trip is almost all interstate (ie 70+ mph).

Should I consider adding electric brakes? I already have the controller and use electric brakes on my landscaping trailer 3x/week.

Locally my 3 most frequent spots involve divided 4 lane (55 mph) or interstate driving. So it is not like I mostly use at slow speeds, with this trip being an exception.

I am thinking brakes would be a great thing at those speeds. I have never had an issue locally but....

I also assume I need a breakaway.
Any suggestions for online retailers are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Keeper

What are you towing it with?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Wallhanger

Double Cab pickup, 2017 Chevy. Plenty of capacity and braking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2020, 04:12 PM
Keeper

My hunch would be you'll be fine but it will be interesting to see what others think. Chevy says trailer brakes are required above 2,000-lb. on a Silverado.

I've also seen a number of references to electric brakes being avoided on boat trailers due to the regular dunking of the trailer in the lake. Suspect that's why most boat trailers use surge brakes.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:40 PM
Wallhanger

I doubt you truck will even notice a 600 lb boat with a 25 hp kicker. Most states brakes are not required till you get over 3000 total boat, trailer, motor weight. Some on this board will disagree. Most of use do not use true electric brakes on boat trailers. . Because you are backing underwater with the trailer brakes. Electric brakes can be an issue if your wiring is not perfectly sealed. Most of the trailers for walleye size boats use surge brakes. Some bigger boats use electric to hydraulic brakes. So the hydraulic part is underwater. I would more worry about how old are your trailer tires and when is the last time you repacked the bearings.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:53 PM
Keeper

I wouldn't hesitate to tow the boat, motor, and trailer with your truck. No brakes necessary.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2020, 06:28 PM
Wallhanger

Make sure your trailer tire pressure is at max allowed and go fishing. No brakes needed on a super light trailer like that.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Keeper

Electric brakes work well on freshwater boat trailers. It's intuitive to think that electricity and water don't mix, but your trailer doesn't get much wetter being submerged in 2' of water than it does being drug down the interstate at 60 mph in a thunderstorm. Shink-fit and wrap the splices and you're good. The electromagnets are epoxy potted and the mechanical components are all similar to those on surge brakes.

I have electric brakes on my trailer. I love them.

They were pretty cheap to install (was maybe $300 for everything) and have been working flawlessly for the last couple years. i tow with a midsize truck, but even on dad's F150 they make a world of difference in feel and in confidence.

Electric brakes have some advantages over surge brakes when it comes to being able to keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle on slick roads and on curves while braking. Surge really only offer convenience in being able to tow with any vehicle regardless of whether it has a brake controller or not. Surge brakes are no longer used on anything except boat trailers and rentals (there may be legality issues).

Smaller, lighter boats are usually not equipped with trailers than can accept brakes as they (frequently) don't have the brake flange welded on the axle behind the spindle. It seems unusual that your 1200 pound package is riding on a 3500 lb axle. But if it is "brake ready" it wouldn't be wasted effort or time to install them. Added braking is never going to be a bad thing.

After pulling a trailer with good, powerful, synchronized electric brakes I decided I never really wanted to be without them. Unfortunately my smaller boat (16'/40-hp/500 lb like yours) has a 1300 lb axle that would need to be outfitted with the flange. If it had it, I'd have already installed them.

As far as the breakaway kit, I am under the impression that if the trailer has brakes (even if not legally required to due to weight) it must have breakaway protection. The battery kits are pretty cheap and only 3 extra wires to install.

Steve

Steve
Old 08-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Your truck will not even notice the boat is back there for the most part. No need for trailer brakes on a trailer with that little weight.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 08-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh500special View Post
Electric brakes work well on freshwater boat trailers. It's intuitive to think that electricity and water don't mix, but your trailer doesn't get much wetter being submerged in 2' of water than it does being drug down the interstate at 60 mph in a thunderstorm. Shink-fit and wrap the splices and you're good. The electromagnets are epoxy potted and the mechanical components are all similar to those on surge brakes.

I have electric brakes on my trailer. I love them.

They were pretty cheap to install (was maybe $300 for everything) and have been working flawlessly for the last couple years. i tow with a midsize truck, but even on dad's F150 they make a world of difference in feel and in confidence.

Electric brakes have some advantages over surge brakes when it comes to being able to keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle on slick roads and on curves while braking. Surge really only offer convenience in being able to tow with any vehicle regardless of whether it has a brake controller or not. Surge brakes are no longer used on anything except boat trailers and rentals (there may be legality issues).

Smaller, lighter boats are usually not equipped with trailers than can accept brakes as they (frequently) don't have the brake flange welded on the axle behind the spindle. It seems unusual that your 1200 pound package is riding on a 3500 lb axle. But if it is "brake ready" it wouldn't be wasted effort or time to install them. Added braking is never going to be a bad thing.

After pulling a trailer with good, powerful, synchronized electric brakes I decided I never really wanted to be without them. Unfortunately my smaller boat (16'/40-hp/500 lb like yours) has a 1300 lb axle that would need to be outfitted with the flange. If it had it, I'd have already installed them.

As far as the breakaway kit, I am under the impression that if the trailer has brakes (even if not legally required to due to weight) it must have breakaway protection. The battery kits are pretty cheap and only 3 extra wires to install.

Steve

Steve
What he said.

Nothing fresh water can do to electric brakes is worse than what salty, slushy winter conditions do.

I've had 7-8 trailers for boats, snowmobiles and utility the last 20 years and the best thing I did to every one of them is trash the surge brakes and add electric brakes and sealed LED lights. Out of habit I still launch with my lights unplugged.