Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Outpost Fish Flasher. What do you think? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Minnow

Default Outpost Fish Flasher. What do you think?

Hello all, just was wondering what everybody thought about buying one of the Humminbird Fishing Buddies for the boats at Canadian outposts. Check the link out below and see what you think. Would this work or would you recommend something else? Has anybody ever used one before?

http://www.cabelas.com/portable-sona...uddies-5.shtml

Thanks for the replies! First Outpost trip in July can't come quick enough!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Should work great for you. We have been taking portable depth finders to Canada for years. Make sure you take extra set of batteries.

Good Luck, Mike Kansas
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackthewalleyes View Post
Hello all, just was wondering what everybody thought about buying one of the Humminbird Fishing Buddies for the boats at Canadian outposts. Check the link out below and see what you think. Would this work or would you recommend something else? Has anybody ever used one before?

http://www.cabelas.com/portable-sona...uddies-5.shtml

Thanks for the replies! First Outpost trip in July can't come quick enough!!
We have been taking portable fish finders with us to Canada for years also and I can't imagine going without one anymore. The only draw back is that particular model probably will not work when you are moving because of the way it is set up. There are other very nice portable units that the transducer will suction to the back of the boat and can be used all of the time. They also have a bigger screen with more features. Of course they are going to be more expensive but if you are planning on making this an annual trip then the investment would be worth it.

Last edited by Jack77; 05-05-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Minnow

I have an Eagle Fishmark 320 with the suction cup. It is a good locator but the suction cup tends to fall off every now and then. I also got a small battery for it, like a vexilar battery, and it will last all week on it. Sometimes we forget to turn it off at night and it still last all week. I have had it about 8 years and have had no problems with it and it has taken a pretty good beating from us. I would buy another if this one were to break.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Minnow

Default Fish Easy 350 c

I use an Eagle Fish Easy 350C left over from an old boat. Ive seen the one your looking at and the screen just doesnt look very good. If what the earlier poster wrote about it not working while moving at speed to me its not a fish finder. You can make any fishfinder portable with a suction cup mount, a small piece of plywood(as a base to screw it to),2 6v lantern batteries wired in series(+ of batt1 to - of batt2 with jumper, red wire from fishfinder to + of batt 2 black wire from fishfinder= 12v) I duct tape the two batteries together. Works all week long but I do take an extra set of batteries, also turn the screen backlight down to 0 or off if possible it uses alot of battery power. As was said earlier if you going to make this an annual trip I would try to spend a little more, it will help you catch fish and let you see obstical below the surface. Nothing like going along and seeing your depth go from 45ft to 3ft in about 5-10 yards, makes your hair stand on end. Have a great trip.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Slot Fish

If you should decide to go with a portable, I suggest you buy a transducer bracket right away. The suction cup does not stay on very well. I have been using one for 11 yrs. years now and I"ll never be with out one again.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Minnow

Default have both styles

I have an old fishing buddy and have used it for many years on camp boats. It does not work at very high speeds, it splashes water into the boat and jumps up and down in the bracket. (not ideal but better than nothing)
I bought a portable with a suction cup before last years trip and really liked it. It is also easier to pack and does not take up as much space while traveling.

I plan on bringing both this year to have the fishing buddy as a spare in case one of the others has a problem.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Slot Fish

I have no problem with water splashing in the boat with this. I use the standard boat bracket model

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Porta...h-All+Products

Last edited by zman8701; 05-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Transducer suggestion

We carry the little green sanding pads and scrub the area on the transom of a rental boat to rid it of the slim that builds up from being in the water all summer.

This has eliminated loosing the suction cup type transducers on portable depth finders. You can also replace the suction cup (if it gets dry rot) with a similar one from a hardware store. I think they are used for automobile roof rack mounts. Ace or Tru-Value have them on their websites.

With the transom scoured clean you can move the 'ducer up and down to eliminate the rooster tail when running wide open.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy66 View Post
I have an old fishing buddy and have used it for many years on camp boats. It does not work at very high speeds, it splashes water into the boat and jumps up and down in the bracket. (not ideal but better than nothing)
I bought a portable with a suction cup before last years trip and really liked it. It is also easier to pack and does not take up as much space while traveling.

I plan on bringing both this year to have the fishing buddy as a spare in case one of the others has a problem.
Thanks for the tip.