Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you wear a pfd? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Keeper

Exclamation Do you wear a pfd?

This question might be posed on the general forum and not necessarily the Canada one but given the cold water throughout the year and that I am from Canada...thought I would post it here. Perhaps this is not so much a question as a strong suggestion. I am guilty of not always wearing a PFD but in the spring when water is particularly numbing and especially under power, the PFD under the seat or in the bag or in the compartment is pretty much useless. With the inflatable ones being light and comfortable, why not put it on?

Certainly I would not wear a PFD in the middle of summer when slowly trolling or jigging...unless conditions were rough or the boat was really small...but a 14 foot boat, moving under power to your fishing spot 2 weeks after ice out...likely nothing bad will happen, but when it does...?

Am I being self righteous...maybe...but I recently participated in a search for an angler for whom it ultimately was the dive team that found his body. Wearing a life jacket...99% chance he would have been found alive...hypothermic yes, but alive. Instead, floating unused PFDs were found near the boat.

I appreciate some of the fishing shows now - Fishing Canada, Reel Fishing with Bob Izumi where they regularly always wear their PFDs.

Be safe fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Minnow

I go on a fly in, and it's always on. it ain't easy peeing off a tin boat. Besides we are far away from help
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM
cutting edge

Not as often as I should (but it is always near). You are right , some of the newer ones are very light & comfortable, and yes they increase your chance of survival quite a bit if something should go wrong.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 01:53 PM
Keeper

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acplumber View Post
I go on a fly in, and it's always on. it ain't easy peeing off a tin boat. Besides we are far away from help
Although it is sometimes said as almost a joke, or at least a light-hearted comment...it is amazing how many drowning victims...usually fishermen, who have been found with their zipper undone...for exactly that reason. In reality, there is no humor, just a family who has lost a loved one.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Keeper

Default Yes..

...I have a Mustang HIT automatic inflatable and I love it. I don't even know it's on. I'm to the point I feel uncomfortable if I don't have it on.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

I never used to. When, I took my youngest with me a few years ago I decided I needed to invest in the auto inflatable ones. I did and now I wear it at all times whether I'm with my kids or on our guys trip. Even when it's hot, it's not uncomfortable.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Wallhanger

Started wearing an inflatable all the time after I insisted my son wear a PFD all the time. So comfortable it isn't unusual for me to still have it on as I pull the boat up the ramp, comes off in the tie down lane as we pack everything away. I've seen a lot of injuries at work and they almost never happen when the situation appears dangerous. Normal operation and complacency is what gets you hurt.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

I used to wear a PFD only in rough weather. Last year I bought a self inflating one from Cabelas and honestly after awhile I forget that it is on, even when it's warm. Besides wearing it I'm trying to make a habit of hooking up to the tether switch. I would guess the worst case scenario would be getting bucked out of the boat and hitting your head on something like maybe the windshield. The combination of the two will not only prevent a drowning, but also maybe getting run over by your own boat.

andersaki
Old 05-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Minnow

The realization I probably could not swim very far along with large bodies of water convinced me to wear a pfd at all times. I have an inflatable pfd that I have used for 7 years. How often do you change the cartridge even if it still shows green. Instructions say to test it in a pool. Seems rather silly, you have no way to be certain the new cartridge is installed correctly until you need it.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

After a 4x fatal a couple years ago, I think on Erie, I bought two of the best inflatables fro Cabelas and they are on if the big motor is running above idle. I thought I'd get [email protected] from one boat partner in particular, but he never said a word about it. They are so comfortable, I've gotten up and started fishing before I realized I'm still wearing the thing.