Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who Makes What Motor? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Wallhanger

Default Who Makes What Motor?

Reading through a thread here, just now, about the waning popularity of Honda outboards, reminded me of a conversation I had a week or so ago with the proprietor of a local marine parts store. What reminded me of the conversation was the comparisons between Yamaha and Mercury engines on that, and so many other threads on this site.

If memory serves, the conversation began with a question about whether a part was universal, or particular to one brand. At some point, the store owner proceeded to tell me about cooperation between Mercury and Yamaha on several sizes of several models. The guy even put forth the following:

*Some Yamaha motors are made partially by Mercury, and some Mercs are made partially by Yamaha.

*Some Yamahas are made entirely by Mercury, and vice versa.

*On some outboards, the only difference between the Yamaha and Mercury motors is, essentially, the cowling.

*Most. if not all of the smaller motors sold by either manufacturer, are made by Tohatsu.

Now, this may be a lot of BS, or partially true, or entirely true. I tried googling for some answers, but they were not forthcoming. This may be the result of poor google skills on my part, I don't know. But, I thought I'd throw it out there because, outside of general curiosity, if some, or all of this is true, then it strikes me that there may be folks trashing one brand or another who are unwittingly operating a motor that was built by a manufacturer they profess to despise.

Is there a way to tell in which plant a motor was manufactured, maybe by the serial number or something? Are dealers in the know as to contracts between the various outboard manufacturers? Is this a lot of BS I was told by a BSer?
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy12 View Post
Reading through a thread here, just now, about the waning popularity of Honda outboards, reminded me of a conversation I had a week or so ago with the proprietor of a local marine parts store. What reminded me of the conversation was the comparisons between Yamaha and Mercury engines on that, and so many other threads on this site.

If memory serves, the conversation began with a question about whether a part was universal, or particular to one brand. At some point, the store owner proceeded to tell me about cooperation between Mercury and Yamaha on several sizes of several models. The guy even put forth the following:

*Some Yamaha motors are made partially by Mercury, and some Mercs are made partially by Yamaha.

*Some Yamahas are made entirely by Mercury, and vice versa.

*On some outboards, the only difference between the Yamaha and Mercury motors is, essentially, the cowling.

*Most. if not all of the smaller motors sold by either manufacturer, are made by Tohatsu.

Now, this may be a lot of BS, or partially true, or entirely true. I tried googling for some answers, but they were not forthcoming. This may be the result of poor google skills on my part, I don't know. But, I thought I'd throw it out there because, outside of general curiosity, if some, or all of this is true, then it strikes me that there may be folks trashing one brand or another who are unwittingly operating a motor that was built by a manufacturer they profess to despise.

Is there a way to tell in which plant a motor was manufactured, maybe by the serial number or something? Are dealers in the know as to contracts between the various outboard manufacturers? Is this a lot of BS I was told by a BSer?
Yamaha and Mercury have no connection anymore. That ended 6-7 years ago.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:26 PM
roscoe66666

Co-manufacturing deals are constantly changing.
The manufacturer's location is on the id plate that contains the serial number.

30 years ago, there were Mercs, Yamahas, and Mariners being manufactured in the same plant, in Belgium. No more.

Tohatsu makes portable 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors, badged with the Tohatsu, Merc, Nissan, and Evinrude names.

Now, if you want specific, make, model, and year information, it will take a little digging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha1973 View Post
My 2004 Merc 115 4st powerhead was made by Yamaha. I think this was the last year ( or next to) that Yammy was making the 4str on the mid-range mercs.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha1973 View Post
If you compare specs on the current Mercury and Yamaha 50 horse 4-strokes, it makes you wonder. Same displacement 4-cylinder, same bore, same stroke, same charging current, same weight, little differences here and there, but awfully similar.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

My prior old 1996 merc 50hp tiller four stroke was a Yamaha power head with a Merc lower.
Now my current 2004 50 efi 4strk is just Merc assembled in the USA from US and foreign components
Fond du Lac Wi 54935
Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Here is some history with Brunswick and Yamaha

www.leagle.com/decision/19811628657F2d971_11490
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
My prior old 1996 merc 50hp tiller four stroke was a Yamaha power head with a Merc lower.
Now my current 2004 50 efi 4strk is just Merc assembled in the USA from US and foreign components
Fond du Lac Wi 54935
My 2006 Mercury 50 EFI 4-stroke was assembled in China. That's where all the 40, 50 and 60 4-strokes have been made since 2005.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Wallhanger

Well, thanks for all of your input, guys. I was not aware of the long history between these two companies, going back as far as the early '70s even. Although it doesn't appear to be the case anymore, I find the past cooperation interesting.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Here is some history with Brunswick and Yamaha

www.leagle.com/decision/19811628657F2d971_11490

Now that article is a cure for insomnia!!!!!

Tags
mercury , yamaha