Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
PFDs...finally going get serious about now - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Minnow

Default PFDs...finally going get serious about now

I always have an ordinary PFD attached to me seat on my tiller boat. Handy,,,but never worn. I often fish by myself.

I'm now 71, and often have balance issues. AS such, I need to get serious about safety.

I'm looking for a very good PFD that is comfortable, but I'm not sure I want the inflatable type.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Nothing wrong with a inflatable at all. If you would have a episode and fall out of the boat, you want something that will keep your head above the surface, a regular vest will not do that. I wear mine every second I'm on the water and tell my passengers they WILL wear theirs. I have 2 mid range priced auto inflatables and will be purchasing 2 more very soon to replace the regular vests my passengers wear..
Old 06-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

I use the Cabelas Guidewear 3500 series and my wife has the newer 4000 model.

They are very easy to wear and work well.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I purchased a Cabela's Full Motion series PFD a few years ago. I am able to wear it all day, except on the very hottest of days. I like it when casting for northerns and muskies as it does not interfere with my casting motion.

I also wear an Onyx M/24 belt pack PFD (inflatable) around my waist. I put this on in the morning and take it off in the evening when I get off the lake. I don't even know this is on.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcreekdad View Post
I always have an ordinary PFD attached to me seat on my tiller boat. Handy,,,but never worn. I often fish by myself.

I'm now 71, and often have balance issues. AS such, I need to get serious about safety.

I'm looking for a very good PFD that is comfortable, but I'm not sure I want the inflatable type.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Since almost drowning in a boating accident in 2014 while not wearing a PFD, I now wear a Cabela's self inflating PFD ALWAYS.
And it should be self inflating. If one is knocked unconscious there will be no way to inflate the PFD.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcreekdad View Post

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Quote from Consolidated North American Standard for lifejackets/PFDs.
"All PFDs must keep the airway above water. FBFreeboard - A PFD shall maintain a user's airway out of water under various environments and use conditions. (All)"

That said;

Many inflatables provide more buoyancy. A standard noninflatable adult-size lifejacket provides 15.5 to 22 lbs. of buoyancy, depending on its type. Many models of inflatable PFDs provide 33-34 lbs. and will, therefore, keep the user’s head higher out of the water, making it easier to breathe and lowering the risk of hypothermia.

Many folks will continue to reference "Type Codes" for PFDs such as "type I" or" type II" or "type III" etc. however that labeling was dropped by the Coast Guard in 2014.

Recently the US Coast Guard (USCG) issued a final rule entitled Personal Flotation Devices Labeling and Standards. The rule became effective on October 22, 2014 and removes references to type codes in its regulations on the carriage and labeling of USCG-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs). From the rule published in the Federal Register / Vol. 79, No. 183 / September 22, 2014, the USCG states: “Removing type codes from our regulations will facilitate future incorporation by reference of new industry consensus standards for PFD labeling that more effectively convey safety information, and is a step toward harmonization of our regulations with PFD requirements in Canada and in other countries.”

This is not to say one will not find current stock in store still with the old labeling standards.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Keeper

I just don't trust those inflatables. I like one with lots of mesh for cooling comfort. I don't wear one except when the big motor is fired up. But that's just me. Probably should wear it all the time on the water. I'll let you know if I drown from not wearing it.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Keeper

As firefighter in rural area with lots of big water and many people I haves been involved with searches for people including recovery efforts of bodies. Under power pad on in my boat which is a lot easier and comfortable with auto inflate unit. Early or late season always wear. Fishing solo not under power almost always wear. Not under power, warm water and not alone often remove. What is great about inflatables is that you are more likely to put it on and keep it on. Plus much better keeping head out of water than many other pfds...try one.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Watkins View Post
I just don't trust those inflatables.

Why not? The Coast Guard does. Do you trust the seat belts in your car? The air bags in your car? The brakes in your car? The smoke alarms in your house? The tornado warning sirens?
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 06-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Keeper

Mustang auto inflate. I think it was $249. I wear it all the time when fishing alone, when the water is cold, when I’m driving the boat (with tether), and when I’m fishing with idiots that couldn’t drive the boat if I fell out. It doesn’t take to much imagination to visualize what drowning would be like...