Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking for Chimo/Bearberry outpost info - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Slot Fish

Default Looking for Chimo/Bearberry outpost info

First off I want to once again thank all that responded to my previous outfitter and outpost info request.

With that said Bearberry outpost with Chimo is still on our short list. We fished Bearberry for many years through 2016, then had to step back due to members job changing and health issues.

Looking for any current/2018 reports. We understand Chimo is under new ownership and are therefore more interested in cabin, boat, motor, portage boat conditions and your impressions of the new ownership and their future goals.

Also if you stayed at other Chimo outpost camps this year, please feel free to chime in.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Slot Fish

Default Chimo

Hey there- I know you mentioned Bearberry specifically. I went to Hornby this spring and just got back from Roderick. I've been wanting to go to Bearberry for years but it's always been booked when I wanted. Hornby was awesome- I would recommend going. With that being said, the dock was ****ty and had to spend 6 hours cleaning the cabin and sealing it from bugs.

My impression of the ownership is mixed. After 25 years of friendship with Peter, it will be hard to move on. Daniel is part owner of the camps and has been with Chimo for years. He's a very good guy. Chris is the money guy and is enthusiastic. There are talks of "improvements" but I am skeptical of the changes. They got a brand new 16' flat bottom with live well, electric start, 20 hp 4 stroke on Roderick. $300 per week. Personally, that isn't a change that I need. I would prefer them to fix the beat up Portage Lake landing on either side.

If you want my summary- For the 1st time in 25 years I will be going to the "All Canada Show" checking out new camps. I might not switch, but we will see which way the wind blows in 2019.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse thief View Post
Hey there- I know you mentioned Bearberry specifically. I went to Hornby this spring and just got back from Roderick. I've been wanting to go to Bearberry for years but it's always been booked when I wanted. Hornby was awesome- I would recommend going. With that being said, the dock was ****ty and had to spend 6 hours cleaning the cabin and sealing it from bugs.

My impression of the ownership is mixed. After 25 years of friendship with Peter, it will be hard to move on. Daniel is part owner of the camps and has been with Chimo for years. He's a very good guy. Chris is the money guy and is enthusiastic. There are talks of "improvements" but I am skeptical of the changes. They got a brand new 16' flat bottom with live well, electric start, 20 hp 4 stroke on Roderick. $300 per week. Personally, that isn't a change that I need. I would prefer them to fix the beat up Portage Lake landing on either side.

If you want my summary- For the 1st time in 25 years I will be going to the "All Canada Show" checking out new camps. I might not switch, but we will see which way the wind blows in 2019.
Horse thief

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate and welcome your concerns.

If you ever get to Bearberry and would like any info, let me know.

I also sent you a PM.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

I went to Marvin Outpost and it was disappointing. There are 2 portages n we ended up fishing the one with the short walk to catch our dinner. Biggest northern was 36” n walleyes were 16-18”. Everything ran well except they were 3 hours late picking us up Saturday as they had to drop off fuel at Roderick. Going to Lake St Joe or Nakina area this year.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Wallhanger

I will keep an eye on this thread, as I am considering a Moose hunt on Roderic with Chimo.
I am mostly wondering about the condition of the planes, cabin, and walleye fishing. In that order.