Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Finding a lake place - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout93 View Post
Another thing..

Get a place that faces west. I'm guessing there's more than a few people on this board that wouldn't care which direction their place faces. We kind of lucked into it when we bought our place, not even thinking of the direction at the time.

But now, for me..I wouldn't look at a place if it didn't face west (or south).

Sunsets sitting on your own lake property are better than sunsets in Puerto Vallarta..
An excellent point. My wife was adamant about wanting a south-facing exposure when we were shopping for the house we live in now. Found such a place, and better yet one with big deciduous trees over it and big glass windows all along that south side. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and amazing passive temperature control inside the house.

We're presently searching for a waterfront vacation property, ourselves - and finding mighty slim pickings! There's some very good advice in this thread, as I've come to expect from WC.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Keeper

I would rent for a couple of summers and truly find a lake / area you like before cashing in so you don’t get stuck.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout93 View Post
Another thing..

Get a place that faces west. I'm guessing there's more than a few people on this board that wouldn't care which direction their place faces. We kind of lucked into it when we bought our place, not even thinking of the direction at the time.

But now, for me..I wouldn't look at a place if it didn't face west (or south).

Sunsets sitting on your own lake property are better than sunsets in Puerto Vallarta..
I agree, especially when you are in the prairie lands. However in the winter (live year round) the west/nw winds are bone chilling and there is nothing stopping that wind coming across the lake. Little sun exposure to help warm the house during the day.

My last house faced south, and in the winter it sure was nice!
Old 02-26-2021, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Good luck.

S-I-L had their house on the market for less than a month a year or so back and got 5 offers over the asking of $350k for a 1,500 sq. ft. 10 year old sorta A-Frame-ish next to the swamp on Lake Winter - which is on Hwy 70 and about as far north as you'd probably want to live and still be able to get to a decent hospital in under 2 hours.
Lake Winter is not really what you'd call a "fishin' lake" unless yer thingy is row boating for stunted 5" bluegills, 6"-8" bigmouth bass, and catching the same 3 skinny little muskies year in and year out.
(See photo below.)

Prices these days are a far cry from even a few years ago.
S-I-L tried to sell the old shack across the lake from the new one and couldn't get a nibble in over 3 years.
Ended up taking $20k less than they had in it to get out of paying 2 mortgages.
The old place is now assessed at $100k over when they sold it in 2013.

Then, the Great Recession was still affecting markets, interest rates were in 5%-6% range & getting a home loan required a hefty down, higher income, and really good credit score.
Now, the economy has been soaring since 2014, large corporations are going all-in on telecommuting employees, interest rates are hovering around 2% - & even WITH the Co-VId affecting employment & business, money is still flowing among the vested (ownership class) like water over Niagara Falls - and it seems everyone has decided THEIR "little slice of heaven" now has 50+ feet of waterfront.
Preferable where nobody can give you Co-Vid or loot & burn the local CVS pharmacy, because there isn't one.
And to think we sold the 2 bedroom ranch on Lake Holcombe back in the early 90s for less than $30k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L Winter.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	324400  

Last edited by Anonymouse; 02-26-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Good luck. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/lovit.gif[/IMG]

S-I-L had their house on the market for less than a month a year or so back and got 5 offers over the asking of $350k for a 1,500 sq. ft. 10 year old sorta A-Frame-ish next to the swamp on Lake Winter - which is on Hwy 70 and about as far north as you'd probably want to live and still be able to get to a decent hospital in under 2 hours.
Lake Winter is not really what you'd call a "fishin' lake" unless yer thingy is row boating for stunted 5" bluegills, 6"-8" bigmouth bass, and catching the same 3 skinny little muskies year in and year out.
(See photo below.)

Prices these days are a far cry from even a few years ago.
S-I-L tried to sell the old shack across the lake from the new one and couldn't get a nibble in over 3 years.
Ended up taking $20k less than they had in it to get out of paying 2 mortgages.
The old place is now assessed at $100k over when they sold it in 2013.

Then, the Great Recession was still affecting markets, interest rates were in 5%-6% range & getting a home loan required a hefty down, higher income, and really good credit score.
Now, the economy has been soaring since 2014, large corporations are going all-in on telecommuting employees, interest rates are hovering around 2% - & even WITH the Co-VId affecting employment & business, money is still flowing among the vested (ownership class) like water over Niagara Falls - and it seems everyone has decided THEIR "little slice of heaven" now has 50+ feet of waterfront.
Preferable where nobody can give you Co-Vid or loot & burn the local CVS pharmacy, because there isn't one.
And to think we sold the 2 bedroom ranch on Lake Holcombe back in the early 90s for less than $30k. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG]
Someone didn't know how to read a tape measure.........LOL. Just kidding it looks really nice !
Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
Someone didn't know how to read a tape measure.........LOL. Just kidding it looks really nice !
Inside was a lot nicer than the outside. $350k was a bargain, in Anonymouse's opinion - but then Lake Winter isn't exactly prime fishin' waters, so the value is more scenic than sporting.
The point of all that was that prices on waterfront, even on terrible fishing waterfront, has REALLY risen over the past 2-4 years, even way out in the boonies.

Lake frontage here in Madison back in 2013 was still reasonable - for rich folks anyway - but now-a-days, you literally have to be King Midas to get on the water, with the few available knockdowns (for the lot) running well over $650k & empty lots (pre-knocked-down-already) in excess of $750k for 50'.
Then they go & dump a $1.6M shack & landscaping on top of all that.