Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat and trailer chip provention - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Keeper

Jopes, I really don't travel dirt or gravel roads much. Almost all freeway for me. 2 1/2 hr drive ea way to our condo, and 31/2 hr to my sons place. I put alot of miles on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2021, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

I bought a Trailer Tux - one of the excellent recommendations I got here at WC - for my 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup and really like it. Great construction of a great design by a great guy. Formidable boat protection (it won't do anything for your trailer) that you can quickly and easily put on, take off or arrange somewhere in between as suits your needs at the time, and he'll work with you to configure it just right for your rig.

Tell Bob I said hello!

Gerry
Old 02-22-2021, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I bought a Trailer Tux - one of the excellent recommendations I got here at WC - for my 2020 Ranger 620FS Cup and really like it. Great construction of a great design by a great guy. Formidable boat protection (it won't do anything for your trailer) that you can quickly and easily put on, take off or arrange somewhere in between as suits your needs at the time, and he'll work with you to configure it just right for your rig.

Tell Bob I said hello!

Gerry
X2 on this.

I have the truck mounted towtector, and I wouldn't tow without my Trailer Tux, it is the ultimate protection. Customer service is second to none. It's worth every penny, especially when you consider the cost of these rigs and the cost of a stone chip repair.

Waxy
Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

I drive the 25 mile NW Angle rd, several times a year, not this year, gravel, sometimes the road is good, plenty of times it is bad, or some wild man will go by you at warp speed, hate it. The new paint on trailers helps a lot, galvanized is better, brush flaps. or a good montana type. Sometimes it is the price to pay to have so much fun on fishing trips
Old 02-24-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

I made my own boat bra for my Skeeter WX 1850. Stainless 1/2 inch rods, a couple mounting brackets, 2 bearing stops and a trip to a tarp shop and good to go. I tow with a couple different vehicles which have different ride heights so I chose this route. Easy to remove to wash .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	324318  
Old 02-25-2021, 06:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I made my own boat bra for my Skeeter WX 1850. Stainless 1/2 inch rods, a couple mounting brackets, 2 bearing stops and a trip to a tarp shop and good to go. I tow with a couple different vehicles which have different ride heights so I chose this route. Easy to remove to wash .
Very nice!

Gerry
Old 03-04-2021, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

They sell a clear plastic adhesive-backed overlay for car fenders walls, rocker panels, and such, that many use on their re-paints.
They can be painted right along with the rest of the vehicle too, so they match color perfectly.

They obviously aren't completely invisible but it beats the crap out of buying a new paint job or rusted metal under a chip.
The adhesive should be waterproof long enough for launch/retrieval purposes, even after years of repeated dunkings.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:04 AM
Keeper

Adhesive won't stick on the new Skeeter trailer. Their chip protection coating has a pebbly, almost Teflon like finish. Boat launch pass stickers need to be applied on the swing tongue, as they will pop off if applied to the winch stand. It's the only painted surface. Those launch stickers are some really sticky suckers, but they won't stick any where on the main trailer. Their trailer finish is incredibly tough. not a single chip in over 4 years of extensive freeway driving.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyed View Post
Adhesive won't stick on the new Skeeter trailer. Their chip protection coating has a pebbly, almost Teflon like finish. Boat launch pass stickers need to be applied on the swing tongue, as they will pop off if applied to the winch stand. It's the only painted surface. Those launch stickers are some really sticky suckers, but they won't stick any where on the main trailer. Their trailer finish is incredibly tough. not a single chip in over 4 years of extensive freeway driving.
Ah, well any less than smooth surface presents hardship for adhesives because you lose a large portion of the air-exclusion zone that makes adhesives work in the first place.
Suppose that stuff is akin to those bed liner spray-ons for pickups, like Line-X.
Paint will stick to it because of the small molecular bonding but adhesives work on a different principle.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Went this route
Been happy with the results....don’t know that I have had any road induced chips or gouges.....submerged trees? That’s a different story 😖
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6F09D28-E8BE-49AA-9FB5-EDAF2CD3425D_1616076950590.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	325012