Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Frustrated! Save $1,100 with terrible local dealer or go farther and spend more? - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
Boy did I ever make the right choice!

In my last discussion with the local dealer, he asked for a copy of the other dealer's quote and communications. I was ready to decline in general, but asked why he wanted to see it. He stated "I want to see what I'm up against." I responded with the question of whether they are going use it to match or beat the deal? He stated no, he can't change pricing. I then stated it didn't make sense to share it with him. Yesterday I did send a polite email thanking him for his time but noting I moved forward with the dealer further away. I didn't state anything about price, just that I felt more comfortable with them.

Dial the clock forward to today and I am working with the sales guy on a follow up item. He shared that it was a long afternoon yesterday because the local dealer turned him in for some perception of violating pricing practices with Nitro. My sales guy said it was rough but they got through it.

What an absolute sore loser the local dealer is. He wants to penalize the other dealer for earning my business when he wouldn't! There is no question I won't even go to them for service now. I will never step foot in their store.
Glad you got this settled however you got a price from the first dealer and rightfully so, checked the price. Now you have a different price for that boat so you go back to the original dealer to leverage. Then you go back to the 2nd dealer and leveraged that. Fixed pricing is supposed to prevent this. The first dealer might have been the loser and yes a sore loser as in his mind he was playing by a different set of rules than the second dealer who you bought from. Maybe he felt this transaction put him in a corner. Really, what did he have to lose, you were only going to buy from him based on the best price first, location second. I get that the first sales guy you talked to might have not been the best but you did the right thing and went to his manager. I've been in sales long enough to understand the win proposition, and given the circumstances, I would not have hesitated to cause some issues for my competition. Enjoy your new boat, you worked hard for it!!
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2021, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

With no intention of hijacking your thread, I had a similar discussion on a thread I started about deadrise.

'Tracker Targa V19. Just bought it. Dropping my Lowe off this weekend, they are rigging all of my existing electronics, and picking it up the following week. Wanted a 20' boat but budgetary limitations so I compromised. 40+ gal fuel tank, so I can make longer runs on Oahe, and with a little added length handle the rollers while being slightly drier. The beam is 12" more than my current Lowe, so a little more stable sideways. I liked that the Tracker was welded rather than riveted, from my past bad experience with early Tracker rivets. The hull is .125 which has been increased. I think this is a heavy boat, but I don't need a 50 mph boat. I want to come out of the hole with full gear and livewells and 4 people if I need too. I usually only fish 2 people, but plenty of room to move around.

FWIW, BPS no haggle pricing doesn't mean to not shop around. I was working with a local BPS who quoted me 13k higher including my trade. I went to another BPS, 3.5 hrs away that used to be a Cabelas, and they remembered me. Instant 13k savings for a 3.5 hr drive one way. That made financial sense to me. Even with detailed descriptions and pictures of my trade, the original BPS lowballed me. With no pictures, the sales guide at the more distant BPS knew of my boat from a local lake, made some calls to people that knew of my boat and of me, and gave me all the dough. I can't wait to get it home and try it out. I will do an honest review of what I like and may not like.

For those of you who deal in Colorado, make sure you look at your quoted taxes. An old school car sales trick was to pack your taxes in your quote. They will cover your taxes, but anything left over goes into their profit, and the first dealer tried that by packing another 2k in taxes over what my actual taxes would be. Know before you go.....'
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Glad you got this settled however you got a price from the first dealer and rightfully so, checked the price. Now you have a different price for that boat so you go back to the original dealer to leverage. Then you go back to the 2nd dealer and leveraged that. Fixed pricing is supposed to prevent this. The first dealer might have been the loser and yes a sore loser as in his mind he was playing by a different set of rules than the second dealer who you bought from. Maybe he felt this transaction put him in a corner. Really, what did he have to lose, you were only going to buy from him based on the best price first, location second. I get that the first sales guy you talked to might have not been the best but you did the right thing and went to his manager. I've been in sales long enough to understand the win proposition, and given the circumstances, I would not have hesitated to cause some issues for my competition. Enjoy your new boat, you worked hard for it!!
I would have paid more to buy locally. I would have paid more if the dealer admitted they treated me poorly and tried to do something to make it right. Something like "Because of our pricing model I just can't change the boat price, but I will give you 20% off anything you purchase in the next 2 years" or something. I don't believe for a moment there isn't SOMETHING they could have done to compensate me for my time and frustration. Prove to me that they value my business. Prove to me that they stand behind the quality of their service and interaction. I had a terrible experience and lost trust. It was then that I had to choose between harder choices - give someone business that I didn't want to, or work with someone much farther away which I really didn't want to do either. At that point price moved up as a deciding factor

Last edited by Timmer92; 02-26-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Seen it coming a mile away

Quote:
Boy did I ever make the right choice!

In my last discussion with the local dealer, he asked for a copy of the other dealer's quote and communications. I was ready to decline in general, but asked why he wanted to see it. He stated "I want to see what I'm up against." I responded with the question of whether they are going use it to match or beat the deal? He stated no, he can't change pricing. I then stated it didn't make sense to share it with him. Yesterday I did send a polite email thanking him for his time but noting I moved forward with the dealer further away. I didn't state anything about price, just that I felt more comfortable with them.

Dial the clock forward to today and I am working with the sales guy on a follow up item. He shared that it was a long afternoon yesterday because the local dealer turned him in for some perception of violating pricing practices with Nitro. My sales guy said it was rough but they got through it.

What an absolute sore loser the local dealer is. He wants to penalize the other dealer for earning my business when he wouldn't! There is no question I won't even go to them for service now. I will never step foot in their store.
How could you not know that this was going to happen? Tracker has a set price. While some dealers do go below that out won't be listed on the internet. That's how they get in trouble. While looking at new boats the dealer specifically said don't bring this to cabelas or they could lose the right to sell them. Not only did you bring it up to the other dealer you named the offending dealer on the internet. You owe your sales person an apology for being an idiot and should try to edit their name out of this
Old 02-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would have paid more to buy locally. I would have paid more if the dealer admitted they treated me poorly and tried to do something to make it right. Something like "Because of our pricing model I just can't change the boat price, but I will give you 20% off anything you purchase in the next 2 years" or something. I don't believe for a moment there isn't SOMETHING they could have done to compensate me for my time and frustration. Prove to me that they value my business. Prove to me that they stand behind the quality of their service and interaction. I had a terrible experience and lost trust. It was then that I had to choose between harder choices - give someone business that I didn't want to, or work with someone much farther away which I really didn't want to do either. At that point price moved up as a deciding factor
In today's market often times there isn't a lot of options. My friend was in the market for a Ranger 620FS, he was looking local but when the floor model boat came in he thought it was ugly. I happened to be at my dealer who just unloaded a new Cup series 620FS. I talked to my salesman who gave me a price, I called my friend with the quote and stern directions to not reveal the dealer. After looking at the local boat he called and said he was coming up and could I meet him. Getting there before him and looking at the boat I told the salesman, "You will have a purchase agreement by 5:00 today". His response was not crass but said "that's OK, this boat will be gone in 3 days regardless" In the end my friend bought it within 10 minutes of seeing it. Also the bonus, not only did he love the color but the boat came with a 15 hp kicker for the same price as his local dealer 2 hours closer. And if he would have ordered one he probably still would be waiting. Your capitalizing SOMETHING for your time and frustration is interesting. It's not their fault you didn't like their arrangement and it's not their fault that you spent more time on this, until you put cash on the table they didn't owe you anything. As I said, I owned my own business and did most of the sales and it doesn't take long to understand where a lot of this is going. If you look at this you were paid well for that time. My advice is to try and be a good customer, nobody owes you anything just because you walked in your store. If you don't like what you see, walk out as you have no clue what that dealer needs to operate his business. Honestly most businesses are taken back by a good customer these days. My Ranger dealer is an hour away. I have been dealing with them since 1988, I am not demanding, just treat them as I want to be treated. 2 years ago I called and told them to order me a 25 hp short shaft tiller, electric start. Didn't even ask the price, just order it, what ever you think. No money down, it took a while but in the end he got it as he included it in a large order for Mercury's to get me the best price. When I paid he said just 10% over my cost, which included prep and test. That was $200 - $400 cheaper than anyone else. Why, because after 31 years and 4 new boats, we trust each other and I have always got the better end of the deal. As stated, I applaud you for checking out other options, as a good consumer that's prudent. Like I said enjoy your boat and don't look back. I agree, you should make amends to your new dealership and start working on a relationship as an hour away is nothing these days. Besides eventually you'll probably need a newer boat.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:41 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen it coming a mile away View Post
How could you not know that this was going to happen? Tracker has a set price. While some dealers do go below that out won't be listed on the internet. That's how they get in trouble. While looking at new boats the dealer specifically said don't bring this to cabelas or they could lose the right to sell them. Not only did you bring it up to the other dealer you named the offending dealer on the internet. You owe your sales person an apology for being an idiot and should try to edit their name out of this
I don't know about that. He didn't make the salesman give him that price.

I might let the guy you bought the boat from that Nitro would be free to call you and you could explain why you didn't go with the tattle tale dealer. I suspect they already know though.

I know where you went first, I drive by it a few times a month and can't recall the place being very busy. Like ever.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seen it coming a mile away View Post
I think you are mixing posts by different people and as well as misreading them? I'm the OP and I never posted anything about "Cabelas" or "right to sell." The only mention I made of sharing a quote was that the crappy lower priced dealer asked that I share the attentive higher priced dealer's quote and I declined doing so. Yes, I did mention the name of the dealer that worked with me and earned my business. They were the one that were more expensive but treated me well and deserved mention. That is the whole point of this topic and name of the thread! I did post in a later thread that price moved up on my decision list, but I never stated I paid less, because I did not. If you had read the posts thoroughly you would have SAW it coming a mile away. (not sure you will get that joke but others will) If you are going to troll at least get the data straight.

Last edited by Timmer92; 02-26-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

A.) How long is the warranty? Lifetime, maybe it makes some sense, but if it's only a few years, you'll be shopping for better service soon anyway.
(It's transom, stringers, & hull-only for Nitro's lifetime warranty and how badly are you going to screw up the hull & blame it on the factory? Seats, steering wheel, gauges - all that "components" stuff is only covered by Nitro for 1 year & the trailer for 3.)

B.) Do you have to service the boat at a factory dealer?

C.) Can't you just use the service department with the best reputation and bill the factory under warranty from that marina?

All things you should at least inquire about.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 02-26-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:40 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
A.) How long is the warranty? Lifetime, maybe it makes some sense, but if it's only a few years, you'll be shopping for better service soon anyway.
(It's transom, stringers, & hull-only for Nitro's lifetime warranty and how badly are you going to screw up the hull & blame it on the factory? Seats, steering wheel, gauges - all that "components" stuff is only covered by Nitro for 1 year & the trailer for 3.)

B.) Do you have to service the boat at a factory dealer?

C.) Can't you just use the service department with the best reputation and bill the factory under warranty from that marina?

All things you should at least inquire about.
NITRO boats are backed by a transferable warranty that covers the hull, interior stringers and transom for the life of the boat to the original purchaser. In addition, a Limited One-Year Warranty provides coverage for components.

I understand I can take it to any dealer that sells Nitro boats.

I don't know if I can take it to an alternate branded dealer, it is working looking into.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Minnow

I really wanted to purchase from a dealer that was only a few miles from my home lake..... but it was painful to get the info I needed. They rarely sold a Pro V, and did not seem to know much about the available options. When I wanted to see a Pro V before I purchased, they sent me to a dealer quite far away from home. Fortunately, I used the Lund locator tool and found a Pro V nearby... and was curious as to why my salesperson did not send me there.

When I went to the nearby dealer to see the Pro V that they had in stock, that dealer spent the entire morning with me. That sales person was very knowledgeable on all aspects of the Pro V, and they also significantly beat the price from the original dealer. I placed my order with this second dealer.

It pays to shop around until you find a dealer you trust with a price that meets your needs.