Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking to buy a 17 or 18' aluminum fishing boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-23-2021, 02:42 PM
Keeper

Default Looking to buy a 17 or 18' aluminum fishing boat

I currently have a 2004 Lund Angler SS with a 115 Yamaha 4S hanging on the back.
Also has a Minnesota Terrova w/Ipilot trolling motor and Lowrence HDS 8 graph.

I mostly fish Upper Red Lake in northern MN. I case you are unaware Red is a very large lake and can get some good rollers from time to time

I am the second owner of my Lund and I have been very happy with it. Boat is in very good shape and has not given me any problems but I have it in my head now would be a good time to upgrade.

My first impression would be go Lund again.
One concern with my Lund is they used wood transom at that time that have been known to rot. It would be something to check on the new boat.
Another concern with my Lund is the wiring. I have not had an issue with it but in my opinion it could be done a lot nicer and protected a lot better.

I see a lot of the larger fiberglass Rangers but don't need that large of a boat.
I do like Rangers reputation so I have them as my second option

I prefer a single side console and at least 150 hp motor

Your thoughts
Help me spend some money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

No need to worry about the transom or the electrical wiring on a new Lund, they’ve addressed the wood transom issue and I’ve never had any electrical problems with my 2019 Impact. If you’re looking for a side counsel you can get an Impact or a Pro V 1875 but most bigger boats are full windshield.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:56 AM
Wallhanger

Unless you fish by yourself I think the full windshield would be better. Red Lake is a big piece of water and I'm sure it is a lot like L. Erie when the wind comes up a bit. An 18 or 19 ft boat would work great. If you are going new the new composite transom will not be a problem. I also think the floors are warranted also. I cannot remember how far back that is the case for used boats.
Have a great day.
Jim