Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat and trailer chip provention - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2021, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Default Boat and trailer chip provention

I am to the point of nearly being cross eyed now. Just picked up a 2021 skeeter and I want to protect the trailer and the boat. Mostly drive paved roads to the lakes but there is some dirt and gravel mixed in to some places.

I see towtector has a single brush with a mudflap but didn't find much info on here about it. Most just say get a dual brush.

I see some mount on the trailer and protect the boat and I don't think I want to fear with that type.

I also know nothing is full proff other than leaving it in the garage to collect dust.

Is there a big difference between brush vs rubber mud flap styles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Slot Fish

Think I have a picture of mine wrapped up for travel. It works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160616_110349.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	324246  
Old 02-20-2021, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

If concerned, go with a Montana Rock Guard:

https://www.montanarockguards.com/photo-gallery/

Simply put - they are the best to impede the flight of a rock to y our trailer and or boat.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

my thoughts, brush vs flaps, brush way better. You need a full protector like in that picture another posted, or the montana type, and a galvanized trailer. Gravel roads and boats and trailers do not get along well.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:08 AM
Wallhanger

I talked with a gal at Towtector once, she was real helpful and said the double brush was the best for my application , the rubber kept the rocks in better, but would possibly start to damage your truck. It acts like a popcorn popper.

I dont have one but was thinking of getting something for when I'm in the Dakotas...a lot of gravel up there and some long enough pulls(7-15 miles for where I go). I never use anything on concrete and if I go 10-15mph on gravel I dont seem to have problems. That said, I think 30-40 mph on gravel with a double brush will still get rocks through and chips. I think ultimately they all have a little drawback? if you have the wrap, Ive heard dust gets under the wrap and may sand your boat a bit so you want a non contact kind of protection?...But then again looks like DBH has had good luck??...Ive heard good things about Montana also but maybe you need a different trailer?. Soon enough some guys/gals on here that do a lot of gravel in Montana or Canada will give you a good recommendation. these are just some of my recollections when I looked into it last.
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors

Last edited by kswalleyer; 02-21-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:15 AM
rock chips

Default rock chips

I have towtector. Did get one dime sized chip on front of my Skeeter WX2190. Whizzed me off! On pavement but it was up in oil patch country. Notorious for rock chips in vehicles. Not gonna prevent everything. I just drive slow like you said if on a gravel stretch.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock chips View Post
I have towtector. Did get one dime sized chip on front of my Skeeter WX2190. Whizzed me off! On pavement but it was up in oil patch country. Notorious for rock chips in vehicles. Not gonna prevent everything. I just drive slow like you said if on a gravel stretch.

I just figure Im on vacation so take my time and enjoy the drive. If I had to go 50 miles I would likely have a different point of view.
4 Rivers Refuge Runners/PPF Woodduck Mud Motors
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Keeper

Not sure if you honestly will need it. My last two boats, Skeeters, trailers have never gotten a rock chip in over 4 years of driving. They have a special finish, unlike trailers of old. I've had boats for 50 years, and they have all had chipped trailers till my last two trailers. Not sure if all their trailers are the same, but the two walleye boat trailers that I had from Skeeter, have zero chips in over 4 years of towing.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyed View Post
Not sure if you honestly will need it. My last two boats, Skeeters, trailers have never gotten a rock chip in over 4 years of driving. They have a special finish, unlike trailers of old. I've had boats for 50 years, and they have all had chipped trailers till my last two trailers. Not sure if all their trailers are the same, but the two walleye boat trailers that I had from Skeeter, have zero chips in over 4 years of towing.
Do you ever hit any gravel or dirt roads? Just about every camp site and boat ramp I go to has this. Granted some are less than a mile of dirt and gravel which I can go slow on but tires pick up rocks then fling them out going 65 on the highways

I also really want to take excellent care of this boat to make it last a long time.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

Well I have had the double rush towtectors for years and havenít notice any chips on trailer or fiberglass glass boats. However I donít travel on gravel roads but the ramp I use the most is gravel parking lot and about 1/2 of gravel.