Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone know where a guy can get 5’ trolling rods these days? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 04:31 AM
Minnow

Just close your car door on the last foot of your 6 foot rod like iv done,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 05:46 AM
Wallhanger

Very satisfied with my 5’ Scheels shorties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Limit Creek

http://limitcreek.com/TrollingRods.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Used to be able to find different brands in 5’ length, but surfing the net today I couldn’t find anything. Thx

Where you from Warrior? I just saw a few today in Fleet Farm. An off brand looked like maybe were made for Fleet Farm.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 PM
Keeper

What’s the advantage of the shorty short rods?
Old 02-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Hat,
The idea of the short rods was to effectively fish close to, and far from the boat without the use of planer boards or dipsies.

i.e. the typical user employs a set of very long rods - 12-15 feet in length, and then a set of short - 5 feet rods to cover the waters that are essentially in the path of the boat.

In the beginning, rods of various lengths were used in attempt to determine the best universal combination of short and long rods for this type fishing. In most cases it ended up being a setup of 5 foot rods and a set of either 10 foot, or 12 foot rods for the outboard rods.

But in recent years, the 5 foot long rods have lost the glow of their first introduction and most fishermen have evolved back to a 6 or 6 1/2 foot for the short rod sets and have been happy with the results.

Fishermen found that if they had rod holders and were fishing with longer rods, they could simply rotate the rod back to adjust the width of the spread without having to resort to shorter rods.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Wallhanger

^^^^^^ I have done this too angled them back but I have a hard time reading the tips, so I have the 5 foot Limit Creek rods and like that much better. It may be phycological but when pointing the rods back I feel when a fish hits I loose what the rod was designed to do absorb the shock without pulling the hooks.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

I like running my shorties off the back, spread approximating the width of my boat hull.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:04 PM
Keeper

Everybody has to find a setup with pole lengths, line spreads, planer boards, leadcore, dipsy, and downrigger setups that work for them.

What I've found out is having short to long rods really helps in spreading out lines. I usually fish about 5 lines and sometimes have run up to 7 lines off of my boat.

What I dislike about long rods like the 8'6" + rods is it can be difficult at times to bring in the fish close enough to the boat when netting them. It's not bad when everyone on the boat is experianced and knows the drill for reeling in the fish and uncliping the planer boards and how to position the rod to position the fish to be netted. Yet I like the 8'6" rods are very helpful when a guy needs to let line out on the lure before clipping on a planer board....It lets you get just outside of the other lines in back.

What I found in my case is a combination works best.

Top rods are 8'6" and use side planners to get them away from the boat.
2nd set is 7'6" rods with planers to get them out from the boat.
3rd set is 6'6" to 7' rods of the two back corners of the boat
4th Rod is a short 5' Rod directly of the back middle of the boat.

Depending how far out the planer boards need to be all the rods can get moved up one spot and the 8'6" rods can be on stand by.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:38 PM

Jawbreakers Customs--Nick Ready in Bessemer Michigan can make any size or type of rod you want at a very reasonable price.