Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Finding a lake place - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Minnow

Default Finding a lake place

I don’t know why I am having such a hard time finding a lake place. My wife and I are looking for a modular home either to rent or purchase already on a lot. Either that or a small cabin. We are looking in the otter tail county area, but short of driving there and searching, we are not having much luck. There are maybe 5 total searching FB market place, realtor.com, etc. Do they just not go up for sale often? Would I have more luck buying a plot and putting a home on it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Minnow

Your best luck would be to get a realtor involved that knows the area. They will have leads on things that you will not find online and will be able to assist you. Tell them what you want and what you're looking to spend and they will start sending you properties that meet your criteria. We are in a similar situation, and looking ~4 hours away from home and this is what we did.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

I think you might get some help/responses if you actually said where you are looking. Your description above is WAY to general when you're talking about the United States for anyone to help.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Based on the Otter Tail County area that you mentioned, using Realtor.com, selecting only single family and waterfront, there appear to be more than 5,,,,

Unless you're trying to stay under $100K,,,,,,

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...38,10&qdm=true

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Otter Tail County MN.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	324326  
Old 02-24-2021, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

If it is anything like northern Wisconsin right now. Places are being sold rapidly. With higher prices then a few years ago. I guess because of Chicago area. The northern Wisconsin places are even more in demand then northern Minn. The only places not being sold quickly. Are the ones with major issues. People want the close drive to places with the you no what going on. My advice first thing is to get any loans approved ahead of time. Or have the cash put together. Then contact a real estate company in the area you want to buy. You hopefully can have some flex time at work. That way if a place comes for sale. You can quickly go and look at it. You then need to decide quickly to put an offer in. This is not the time that you can spend a week or two deciding to make an offer. The only thing I would be careful on. Is if you want a holding tank or septic system. Some of the places out there. People just threw up some non foundation place in a flood plane. That just has an outhouse. Somewhere that you would never get permission for a holding tank or septic system. Some of the places with trailers. You would never be able to put a cabin on.

Last edited by Snowking; 02-24-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM
Slot Fish

Default Looking

As said earlier, make contact with a realtor in the area for more info. Realize many lake shore properties are pulled from the market in the fall and will be returning in the spring, as early as March, you want to be ready. Also, ck with that realtor if they might know of properties that were pulled, that you might want to make an offer on them. We did just that made an offer in Jan with -10 deg. day. on a once listed property. They accepted the initial offer.
Good luck.
May want to expand your area up toward Bemidji, Park Rapids, Grand Rapids, at least for comparison sake.
Tx Jig Tyr
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Minnow

Default read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I think you might get some help/responses if you actually said where you are looking. Your description above is WAY to general when you're talking about the United States for anyone to help.

Bob
Read closer. He did say.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:10 AM
Keeper

Poor timing economically. Places are selling very quickly and prices continue to be on the rise because of it.

If you're serious about finding a place and not just kicking tires. I'd look for a local realtor.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:14 AM
Minnow

Default sound advice

As Hat Trick just said. Get a good local to the area realtor. This is a popular geography any way, proximity to Fargo/Moorhead, DL, etc. Many places don't even hit the open market, word of mouth get out and sold. DO some research and find that locl realtor you are comfortable with. I bought hunting property in the area, and wasted a bunch of time before I found a realtor I liked.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Minnow

Try lakehomes.com/minnesota.