Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Finding a lake place - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 01:19 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I think you might get some help/responses if you actually said where you are looking. Your description above is WAY to general when you're talking about the United States for anyone to help.

Bob
I suppose there are more otterail counties. I am talking Minnesota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 01:24 PM
Slot Fish

As someone already implied...

give it another month or so..you'll start to see them become available. Try mlsonline.com

very few people are trying to sell a cabin in the middle of February...

Last edited by stout93; 02-24-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:46 PM
Keeper

Try Zillow as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

It would be nice if there was more information online for lake homes in the area, so you could at least prepare for what the market price / value combination is like currently - but that is hard. Agree with those suggesting to contact realtors in the area and have them do the looking for you. I live close by, it's shocking to me how high the prices are, and yes during the Covid thingy many people who had jobs that moved them to working from home found it more attractive to work from a lake home than a metro home, and current demand is very high, as compared to just the normal high....

The number of listings is down right now due to the winter season, but in my opinion now is a great time to work with a realtor and attempt to find what will work for you - your offer may be the only offer they get during this season. During the summer months, your offer is just competing with several other offers at the same time, which carries its own frustration. There are plenty of places for sale within 30-40 miles of Otter Tail Lake. Nice area, but out of my budget. I'll continue to trailer over several times during soft-water season.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:57 PM
Minnow

Try Edina realty's website
Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 PM
Keeper

Default Lake place

Be patient. We looked for 3 years for our lake place. I mainly searched Zillow myself. We did have a good realtor for a while but she had family issues and handed us off to a co-worker who was a dork. We ended up buying a nice lakefront piece with an old 2 bedroom place on Lake Winnebago. We plan to tear it down and build our forever home on the lot. It is difficult because places are going like hotcakes. Before we decided to just move and live there a full time we were seeing places that were all fancy and updated. No one has just a cottage or cabin anymore. They have to have everything modern and new, which jacks the price out of many peoples price range.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

If you are seriously looking contact an agent located in the area. I guarantee you they will find you a place. Be prepared for sticker shock. With the low interest rates, lots of working people who can work from home wanting to move out of the Twin Cities area, and retired people looking for lake homes the demand is huge and prices are going up monthly.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:43 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Norts View Post
Be patient. We looked for 3 years for our lake place. I mainly searched Zillow myself. We did have a good realtor for a while but she had family issues and handed us off to a co-worker who was a dork. We ended up buying a nice lakefront piece with an old 2 bedroom place on Lake Winnebago. We plan to tear it down and build our forever home on the lot. It is difficult because places are going like hotcakes. Before we decided to just move and live there a full time we were seeing places that were all fancy and updated. No one has just a cottage or cabin anymore. They have to have everything modern and new, which jacks the price out of many peoples price range.

I think there are plenty of "cabins" out there, but mainly on the smaller lakes. Some of those smaller lakes have great fishing, you just sometimes get a bit bored fishing the same spots all the time. A lot of these will be on smaller lots too, which is a negative obviously. But if you want everything on your wish list, you're going to be paying top dollar.

But if you are truly looking for a three season type "cabin" that is affordable then I would look into the smaller lakes.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM 94ndta
Old 02-25-2021, 02:33 PM
Slot Fish

Another thing..

Get a place that faces west. I'm guessing there's more than a few people on this board that wouldn't care which direction their place faces. We kind of lucked into it when we bought our place, not even thinking of the direction at the time.

But now, for me..I wouldn't look at a place if it didn't face west (or south).

Sunsets sitting on your own lake property are better than sunsets in Puerto Vallarta..