Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Skeeter Boats - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

I'm not sure I would go as far as saying Skeeter is spoke of poorly on this site but there are differences;

I think at the end of the day, if you look extremely objectively at the current 19-22' glass boat offerings, they're all really good, skeeter included. As a previous skeeter owner and perennial boat shopper (I've had 4 glass boats since 2013), I think it comes down to the fine details where you start seeing a difference in quality and price, and there is absolutely a balance. All of these boats have some pros and cons depending on the eye's looking at them and everyone of them are light years ahead of where we were 10-15 years ago, it's truly a first world problem which is great for us.

I think you would find option for option Skeeter and Nitro's to be priced extremely competitively, roughly $10k less than that of Ranger, Vexus, Lund GL's, Yar-Craft, and Warrior. I think the Tritons fall somewhere in the middle and Larson probably at the bottom of the cost realm. If your a stickler for detail, you will find differences in these boats that reflect some of the price gap. Everything from the hardware used, carpet weight, flooring options, accessories used, color options, custom bolted jackplates, fiberglass resin's and processes used in construction, how the boat is rigged, what's the wiring look like behind the dash, what type of wire was used, bolted consoles or formed as part of the top cap, warranties, etc. You will find some of the higher priced brands push more quality and or innovation into these areas. The good part, once one pushes that enveloped, it pushes the others to do the same. Picking specifically on Skeeter since that's the subject at hand, when they jumped from there original WX series (1900/2100) to the newer (1910/2060/2190/2200) they made a ton of improvements to keep up with others in the industry. The others have of course continued to push the envelope. For some, a minor detail such as using consistent stainless square headed hardware doesn't mean or hold any value, for other's it may hold a much higher value in their eyes.

The other thing that I think becomes a bit of a turn-off for some when you bring up Skeeter, is the lack of being able to keep up on the performance side. When you're spending $80-$110k on a recreational piece of equipment, performance does become a very measurable thing. Being Yamaha owned has Skeeter products limited to 300hp while the others have had a 350 hp rating since 2015 and now a 400hp rating with the ability to hang a 400r on the transom.

None of this makes them a bad boat, there's certainly differences worth discussing and some make take it as speaking poorly of skeeter. I personally don't think that's the case because there is a balance and value that only the guy writing the check needs to care about. What of value to one person may not be to the next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

I looked hard at and drove a skeeter 1910 before I bought my reata in 16'. Very nice boat and if the 2060 would have fit in my garage I probably would have bought one. Now if they bring back the jump seats in the 2060 I may have to look again... The skeeter boat center in MN seems like a good group and very open to discussing pros and cons as well as providing the option of a test drive. The dealership has skeeter, warrior and now ranger at their WI location.

* I like yamahas, so my opinion may be bias.