Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
helix 12 shutting down with engine start - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 AM
same thing

Default same thing

I'm pretty much limited to 4 batteries, 3 for ulterra and one main. Hoping going from 27 to 31 will help resolve my issues. Will be a tight fit though as the compartment seems to be designed for 27's only, we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Keeper

Too small diameter wiring could also be the culprit. 12 ga direct from the battery to the Helix 12.

The Helix 12 pulls a good amount of amps. I had the same problem with a helix 12 dropping out on engine start when I had my 10 and 12 on the dash wired to the fuse block. Wired direct to the battery and have no problems.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
I too now use a group 31 house battery for my graphs and sonar related accessories. I felt the main motor battery would be under too much of a drain trying to power everything by itself. Also like a battery dedicated to my graphs to minimize interference. I do run 3 12" graphs, a sonarhub and a LSS sidescan unit so I know that's pulling alot of juice. Systems been great so far.
Do you have any idea the power draw on your battery and how long it lasts?

I'm looking at adding a Helix 12 SI+ to my boat with a dedicated battery. The Helix 12 draws 1.75 amps/hour. I have an extra group 29 that is 114 amp hours @ 1 amp. So I'm expecting a max of 65 hours (114/1.75). I know the power drop isn't linear above 1 amp, so it will be less than 65 hours, but I would think I would get multiple days w/o needing a recharge. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson2343 View Post

I'm looking at adding a Helix 12 SI+ to my boat with a dedicated battery. The Helix 12 draws 1.75 amps/hour. I have an extra group 29 that is 114 amp hours @ 1 amp. So I'm expecting a max of 65 hours (114/1.75). I know the power drop isn't linear above 1 amp, so it will be less than 65 hours, but I would think I would get multiple days w/o needing a recharge. Thanks.
According to H'birds Helix 12 SI owners manuals, the amp draw is shown as 3.0 to 3.3 amps. Where did you get the 1.75A value?

HRG
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson2343 View Post

Remember not to discharge past 50% so that halves your estimated runtime. I looked up your graph and found 1.75 also. So that would be 32.5 hrs.

My 3 graphs draw 6 amps total i figure maybe 2 more amps for sonarhub and lss1. My battery is 105 ah. 105/8 =13.125, and 50% of that is a little over 6.5 hrs. That sounds about correct . Now that's running all 3 screens at once, if i turn one off on the dash if im up in the bow i gain a little over 2 hrs runtime. Bow is never on when I'm trolling or on plane so Ive never discharged below 50% . I am adding a Dual pro battery gauge to monitor my batteries health so I'll know exactly how much juice I have on hand.

You can see why a separate group 31 house battery is almost needed when running multiple big screens. Wouldn't want to depend on that battery to turn my motor over if I've been out on the water for a long period of time, running multiple big screens.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon

Last edited by Ltrain; 04-09-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
According to H'birds Helix 12 SI owners manuals, the amp draw is shown as 3.0 to 3.3 amps. Where did you get the 1.75A value?

HRG
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ega-si-gps-g3n

If you scroll down, you see the tab SPECS, click that, then click SHOW MORE.

POWER DRAW 1.75 amps

So which is correct, the 3.0 or the 1.75?

Thanks ltrain and Hot Runr Guy for your responses.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Wallhanger

The Helix is poorly designed. It is common to install the sonar on the crank battery. Many boats are wired this way and should be wired this way. Turning off while cranking is a known problem with these devices.

I have a Helix 7 that only draws 0.8 amps and it cut out when cranking. There are multiple threads on this topic. When I changed my crank battery I replaced a 27 with a 31 and that eliminated the problem. It is ridiculous to have to go to such measures for a device drawing a measly 0.8 amps in my case. Humminbird needs to be called out on this until they fix the deficiency. Adding another battery dedicated to a sonar is a ridiculous solution to a deficient product.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:06 AM
Keeper

It helps if you turn down the brightness as low as possible.A guy I fish with has the same problem(Helix 10).These units are voltage sensitive,so that drop in voltage when cranking engine is sometimes enough to shut unit off or reset.Not sure if more prevalent with lead acid or AGM batteries.A LifePO4 battery would solve that issue,but $$$.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel View Post
anyone else having the problem with there helix shutting down with engine start up? i have 8 gauge running from battery to a buss under dash and it never was a problem with my 998 before thoughts ?
When you go a long period of time without running motor the voltage will drop below the units set point. The easy solution is to start and run for a while rather than long periods of time. The Helix is your least worry. Not starting to get back comes next. I think when voltage goes below 12.5 volts is when that occurs. At about 11.8 you wont crank very long.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 04-10-2020, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
The Helix is poorly designed. It is common to install the sonar on the crank battery. Many boats are wired this way and should be wired this way. Turning off while cranking is a known problem with these devices.

I have a Helix 7 that only draws 0.8 amps and it cut out when cranking. There are multiple threads on this topic. When I changed my crank battery I replaced a 27 with a 31 and that eliminated the problem. It is ridiculous to have to go to such measures for a device drawing a measly 0.8 amps in my case. Humminbird needs to be called out on this until they fix the deficiency. Adding another battery dedicated to a sonar is a ridiculous solution to a deficient product.
That has been a common occurrence way before 12" screens. In the 80's I had Lowrance that did that. A too small battery or an old battery or corroded connections will cause a cranking battery to fall below what the electronics needs to run during cranking of the motor. Any of them will shut off at some point. Helix is 10.8 IIRC. I have seen batteries drop below 10 volts while cranking. Motor can start but electronics with any brand name will shut down in that situation. JMHO Bob