Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LEDs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Minnow

Default LEDs

Hey everyone,
I have come to the conclusion that if I am ever going to go fishing again it will be at night. Such are the problems created when your 97 YO M-I-L moves in. So on to the mods.
I have finished the install on my "docking lights" on the bow and have installed two of the four red 6 led units that will be in the cockpit and on a dimmer. These are all working well and the last two will be a breeze because they are going in the under the seat bulkhead and I have direct access through the underseat storage bin.
What I need assistance on is the underwater lights. I do not want to punch holes in the hull and I hate drop ins so I have an idea I need opinions on. I installed Nauticus ProTrollers and they have additional holes for trim adjustment, mine runs great in the middle hole. These holes are 1/4" so I am thinking about installing 2, 6MM bolt LEDs per tab. They could face outwards, inwards or one each way and with the tabs in the down position will be located about 8-10"s below the surface The Onzium LEDs are rated at 1 watt and 6 lumens. Any experience with these LEDs. I am wondering if the 4 will provide enough underwater light to act as an attractant or just a pretty glow. If it is just a pretty glow I will probably pass.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Minnow

Well, I got no quick responses so I went shopping. SuperBright has a similar product for under $2/unit so I ordered 8. Onzium wanted $6/unit. My frankensteined cockpit light kit ($16.00 total, including shipping) came with 2 remotes and controllers which allow dimming, etc. and can be programmed to different frequencies. So I will install 4 LEDs per ProTroller and run them off the second remote and controller. If they are not bright enough it is not that big of an investment. If they are too bright I have a dimmer in the remote.
Wish me luck
Old 10-06-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

RJ,
One note of caution.
Be sure that underwater attraction lights are legal on the body of water where you will be using the lights.

Here in MN. any underwater light to attract bait and fish is 100% illegal.

However, the head boats use over head spot lights to light up the decks of the boats, which are legal and due to their size and brightness actually do a pretty good job of attracting bait.

We would often fish near the head boats for this reason at night and cast to the head boats because often the big walleyes would lie just on the edge of the lighted up area of the water and we made some nice catches over the years.

Remember, here in MN, the light that is illegal is a light that is fully below the water level of the body of water while it is operating. So this includes stand a lone floating down shining lights as well as lights that are inside a boat's hull and shine through the hull to illuminate the body of water from inside the hull.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Minnow

REW,
Thanks for your input. Here in East Tennessee about the only thing that is illegal is the Alabama rig and those can still have 3 hooks instead of 5. I think the reason for this change is because Bama seemed to always kicked UT’s butt. But, back to underwater lights, they are legal here and I hope I will have enough output to attract bait.
Your reply did confuse me for a moment with your mention of fishing near the head boats. It took a little research to figure out you were referring to what we west coasters referred to as the “cattle boats”.
May you be the recipient of bluebird days and great fishing.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 PM
Minnow

Well, the LEDs I mounted on the ProTrollers emit a good bit of light but not enough. I am in the process of augmenting them with a 1” smooth bore LED plug and two small waterproof puck lights that will be mounted on the back of the OB’s lower plastic cowl which will place them approximately 12” below the waterline when stopped, but well above the waterline when moving. These two puck lights will be mounted with about a 45 degree spread between them. This should really light up the water off the stern of the boat when night fishing. I will probably fish off of a seat on the aft deck and do a lot of dropshotting based on the info my rear Humminbird provides.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjitterbs@gmail.com View Post
Well, the LEDs I mounted on the ProTrollers emit a good bit of light but not enough. I am in the process of augmenting them with a 1” smooth bore LED plug and two small waterproof puck lights that will be mounted on the back of the OB’s lower plastic cowl which will place them approximately 12” below the waterline when stopped, but well above the waterline when moving. These two puck lights will be mounted with about a 45 degree spread between them. This should really light up the water off the stern of the boat when night fishing. I will probably fish off of a seat on the aft deck and do a lot of dropshotting based on the info my rear Humminbird provides.
Would you post some picts of the lights at night?

Marty