Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dreaded Water in Basement - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

I have used these for years, in 3 separate properties.
http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...il.aspx?THP201
The unit will alarm for lost power, low temperature and water. Will call up to 3 different phone numbers to report the alarm. Has saved me from frozen pipes more than once.
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Keeper

Default Changes

Any changes in your neighbors property (if you have one ), or something to cause the water to go your way ?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Keeper

Thank you for reminding me of one more reason I left the mid-west. I have not heard the word sump-pump, or dehumidifier in 5 years.

I got water in my basement the year after a huge flood (Duluth). I got to investigating, and my uphill neighbors had installed drainage systems that had 4Ē black pipe under the fence into my backyard (3 of them). Same contractor did them all.

I went to Menards (miss that store), and bought the appropriate sized plugs. I didnít feel too bad since the effluent end of the pipes were 20 feet into my yard.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Keeper

New Basement Status. A friend, who lives pretty close to me, had researched several contractors for dewatering his basement. He sent me the info on the contractor he hired and the sales person surveyed my home tonight. This is a poured wall basement by the way. He reviewed my property and noted the landscape/grade from the house and didn't see any problems. He has been working in my area for several weeks now with multiple people having problems. He said the water level is just plain high. (possible up to 2 additional inches tonight, hope it misses me, and everyone else suffering through this!) Anyway, doing the break out concrete, and install drain tiles around the perimeter, inside the basement, draining into two 30 inch sumps and then moving the water away from the house. About a month out on scheduling. Three day job, can't wait to get this behind me. We'd budgeted for a new kitchen for my wife, priorities got changed.

I really appreciate all of the input and advise, as well as the links some of you provided for water detection and back up sump pumps. The system this guy sold me offers a lifetime guarantee, the company has been in business a little over 20 years, so hopefully the company stays around. As noted above the system he proposed has two 30 inch sump pits, with big sump pumps, I forgot how many horse power, a battery back up pump and a monitoring system that ties into my WIFI.

Company reviews are mostly good, a few not so much. My friend is an engineer and is way smarter then me so trusting his judgement on the contractor and system.

Paul C.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Thank you for reminding me of one more reason I left the mid-west. I have not heard the word sump-pump, or dehumidifier in 5 years.

I got water in my basement the year after a huge flood (Duluth). I got to investigating, and my uphill neighbors had installed drainage systems that had 4” black pipe under the fence into my backyard (3 of them). Same contractor did them all.

I went to Menards (miss that store), and bought the appropriate sized plugs. I didn’t feel too bad since the effluent end of the pipes were 20 feet into my yard.
I wouldn't have felt bad at all. That's a very irresponsible move by that neighbor or their contractor.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 05-30-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Keeper

Paul,
Yep, have had a issue with water due to the snow melt and heavy rain. We used Mulder Waterproofing on the north side of Kalamazoo. Had them epoxy the floor in the basement. We do not have a sump pump. Wish we did. I also moved the out spouts to make sure they drained the water farther away from the house. We try to shovel snow drifts away from the east side of our house about 8 feet. Seems to help.
David
dvl2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 06-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
Paul,
Yep, have had a issue with water due to the snow melt and heavy rain. We used Mulder Waterproofing on the north side of Kalamazoo. Had them epoxy the floor in the basement. We do not have a sump pump. Wish we did. I also moved the out spouts to make sure they drained the water farther away from the house. We try to shovel snow drifts away from the east side of our house about 8 feet. Seems to help.
David
dvl2700
David,
A couple of years ago a friend of mine had really nasty water problem in his basement. He hired a contractor that made a saw cut in the floor (8 inches wide) all the way around the walls on the inside. They installed 4 inch plastic drain tile with gravel backfill and then patched the floor. A sump pump pit and pump completed the job.
My friend hand dug a trench for the 4 inch discharge line thru his yard to a city street storm drain manhole.
His water problems are eliminated.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Southwest Michigan As Well

I live in Southwest Michigan as well.....And we have had rain/fall major flooding in the area. Our sump runs non-stop (no water intrusion) and we have a backup sump as well.

Several friends have hired firms, the biggest for many of them is to find someone who has a warranty (lifetime) and has been in business for a long time. And expect them to be out several times to fix/adjust stuff. This is where poeple get pissed, they paid $xx,xxx and the problem still needs fixing. But water is a bear to deal with and those followup visits should be under the warranty...

Good luck...
Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
Paul,
David
dvl2700
Thanks David, After the contractor gets done, I have a few cracks and it may be a good idea to seal. Do they have colors? No carpet going back for sure!!!

Thank you to David and guest from Southwest Michigan too.

Help appreciated.

Paul C.