Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Winterization & Gas Question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-31-2020, 11:22 PM
Keeper

If the fuel was treated, it will be fine another year. May want to check that no water is in the boat before it freezes again. I wouldn’t drain the tank unless you had fuel with ethanol in it.
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

So “The worry” for draining the 18 ‘months old gas is:
- might have water in the gas ?? 「OR」
- old gas octane level drop so much it hurts the engine??

What’s the major behind. I didn’t/wouldn’t launch The boat this year, when I fish next year, gas would be 18 months old
Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Chan View Post

What’s the major behind. I didn’t/wouldn’t launch The boat this year, when I fish next year, gas would be 18 months old

Not sure I would rely on the stabilizer products to keep the gas very "fresh" for that long, despite the claims. Especially if has ethanol fuel. Depending on how much fuel is being stored in the tank, phase separation is a real possibility. No product can prevent it.

My own opinion for draining now would more be that the fuel is likely perfectly usable in other vehicles and implements. Leave empty? Experts say not a good idea, especially with ethanol, because likely it's impossible to completely drain. Any ethanol fuel left will be worse situation than a near full tank,as phase separation an even higher probability. So refilling with fresh for the next period of storage likely the smarter option.

Some good info from "experts"
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011...er/ethanol.asp
-
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Keeper

Gasoline quality of 10 years ago isn’t what we have today. I pump all mine out at the end of the year and fill with new and marine stabil, it gives me at least a tank in each vehicle, and the SXS...
Old 08-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Chan View Post

My own opinion for draining now would more be that the fuel is likely perfectly usable in other vehicles and implements. Leave empty? Experts say not a good idea, especially with ethanol, because likely it's impossible to completely drain. Any ethanol fuel left will be worse situation than a near full tank,as phase separation an even higher probability. So refilling with fresh for the next period of storage likely the smarter option.

-
20 gallon Non- ethanol gas in it. Didn’t bring the boat out at all and it’s in the storage I don’t have assess to. So I guess draining it now and fill in new gas is not an option.
Owner of the storage let us pick up April and Drop off October or November ..... other than that, the family is not around (in another family property for the Summer thats 10hours away)
Oh well