Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trolling spinners - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Minnow

Default trolling spinners

Happy memorial day. I troll cranks quite a bit but now want to spread my spinners out. How do you all troll with inline weights? Do you pick the right weight and let down till you hit bottom then reel up a couple? I know with bouncers they say 1 oz for every ten feet of water. Is there a rule for inline weights?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Keeper

Anything with lead is very speed dependent. My advice is to pick one size weight. I'd suggest either 1 oz or 2 oz inlines.

As a general rule, spinners are trolled slower than cranks, maybe 1.5 mph and slower. I follow the general rule of 1.1 or 1.2 mph and slower, 2 to 1 ratio of line out to depth, faster, then 3 to 1.

Precision Trolling has dive curves for the XPS Trolling weights too.

Hope that helps.

Ray
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hoyt View Post
Is there a rule for inline weights?
Absolutely not. Some of my best days have been trolling 1 oz weights in front of spinners 10-15 feet behind the boards at 1.8-2.3 mph. over 50 FOW.

Put your deepest running presentation on the inside, or closest to the boat. My standard setup to start the day is 1 oz on the outside up high, 2 oz on the middle board working the upper 1/3 of the water column, and the three ozers on the inside board (closest to the boat), working the lower depths. When you find what they want, change accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Minnow

thanks guys. most of my fishing is in shallow lakes 8 - 20 feet. i should be able to get away with 1 and 2 oz weights. Now i just need to experiment with this. I have always used bouncers and spinners but wanted to spread them out with boards.

Thanks again
Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default do you want horizontal or vertical spread?

If you want to fish very close to the bottom, but want to spread your spinners away from the boat you can stick with bouncers which you are used to using, and run them behind boards. If you need both vertical and horizontal spread then using in-line weights with boards is a good option. as others have said you get about 1' of depth for every 2' of line out with 1oz. weight at common spinner speeds (.8-1.3).
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Keeper

I always heard 1 oz of weight will get you down half the number of feet you let out. (like already mentioned. 10 feet of line = 5 feet down) at 1mph, any difference in speed or weight can alter this pattern?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

If you are targeting the bottom, use bouncers. If using inlines, use all the same weights preferably so you do not have to remember all the formulas at once.. Target the entire water column from the top 5 feet to or near the bottom until the fish tell you what they want and then adjust all your presentaions to that depth.
ie... If fishing 4 rods in 30 FOW with 1 oz. in lines, 1 at the top with about 7 feet behind the board, 2nd one 20 feet behind the board, 3rd 30 feet, 4th 40 feet .....Use a subtle zig-zag troll. this will raise,lower,speed-up and slow down your baits covering the entire water column. Pay attention to what starts working and load up all of them at that depth...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

I like to mix my weights up many times and more often than not the fish may prefer one over the other, the heavier the lead the more vertical drop and lift the spinners will have expecially on turns (and in waves surges), often the aggressive drop and pull triggers them to bite. I seem to favor 2 and 3 oz even in water less than 30 ft deep. Just run them with less line out.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Yepper, I agree Kgonefishin,figured with him just starting out one formula would help him progress into the art of inlines. I like running snap weights in conjunction with inlines too. Sometimes I can get them to go on the snaps vs. inlines. When you make your turns the snap weights can have a lazy flutter and not such of an aggressive jerking motion like the inlines. When in heavy waves I have better luck with the snap weights at times...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Yepper, I agree Kgonefishin,figured with him just starting out one formula would help him progress into the art of inlines. I like running snap weights in conjunction with inlines too. Sometimes I can get them to go on the snaps vs. inlines. When you make your turns the snap weights can have a lazy flutter and not such of an aggressive jerking motion like the inlines. When in heavy waves I have better luck with the snap weights at times...
Agree, snap weights can defintely work better when it's rough. I also find in deeper rougher waters dipseys and jets do better as well.

For noobs starting with one weight is easier I think 2oz are best a little more versatile IMO, they are my GoTo, but I fish Erie where I may go from 20-50 ft in 1 mile in some areas.

Precision trolling 8 has the dive curve for inlines but it's at 1.5 mph so keep in mind when going slower that dive curve will increase alot. (I don't even use it and question is accuracy but if your starting you need something)